Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2016 16:00

Upgrading PSU for Alienware R4

I have just purchased a MSI r9 390x upgrading from my r9 270 that came with the computer. I have been having an issue where as soon as I turn my graphics to max the computer restarts. No blue screen no error message just straight up restarts as if someone unplugged and plugged the pc in.

I have narrowed this down to a possible PSU issue as no over heating is taking place. I believe it to be the stock PSU J556T that came with the original pc. I don't think it has the voltage to keep the card going I believe the PSU is 18V which im sure this card requires more volts than 18 to function at top performance. If you think the same as I am I would like to upgrade my PSU now the problem being the casing around the PSU does not leave me with many options due to it only having openings on the sides and most PSU now have fans on the top and bottoms. Which PSU would you suggest.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

March 12th, 2016 23:00

"how about we get your power supply working 1st before deciding it isn't decent ..." ...

tip: J556T has two grfx cables, each cable is rated @ 18amps, that makes two 18amp 12volt rails; you must power the card using each cable / each rail for best performance. While each cable wears a 6pin & a 6+2 jumper, don't let it fool you > it stlll reduces to being just one cable; try both cables: use one & only one connector type off of each cable ...

tip: when in need of an '8pin', insert the primary 6pin & borrow the 2pin off of the 2ndary jumper

- Aurora: how to run a 375watt card ... kind of ... -

IMG_0046.jpg

- most Aurora owners who have the 875watt psu also have an unused cable in the case floor: use it -

Here's a 375watt+ HD6990: note the blu-wht & blu-ylw grfx cables are both deployed & 6990 benefits from both 18amp 12v rails --> 18a x 2 = 36a x 12v = 432watts. Lovely <--

To use one cable (prim + jmpr) is to deny card access to extra 216watts provided by cable #2. unlovely

For those cards needing one (or two) 8pins, we do what again? --> insert the primary 6pin, borrow the 2pin off of the 2ndary jumper & lay the jumper to the side, unused <-- kapisch? 

- the primary 6pins are the path of least resistance -

In by-passing the primary 6pins - & using the 2ndary jumpers - the person above is using a less-efficient connecting scheme; resistance has built up in the jumper appendages:

• due to the mechanical crimps inside of the primary 6p
  • due to the added 4inches of wire that is the jumper
  • due to the mechanical crimps inside of the jumper 6pin

3750.wrong.jpg

- do not 'lay' the primary 6pin to the side (left), do 'lay' the jumper to the side & borrow its 2pin (right) -

for Aurora in a solo-card application, always use the primary 6pins (=

3 Posts

March 13th, 2016 18:00

So what I am getting from this is I am supposed to use the blu/ylw and the blu/wh grfx cables but i need to use both primary pins instead of the jumpers along with one of the jumpers 2 pin for the single 8 pin connector that is on the card. Please correct me if I am wrong.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

March 13th, 2016 18:00

The simple answer is 'yes'. I do not need to correct you, you are right.

In the photo I posted earlier we're seeing a 375watt card inside of Aurora; MSI 390x is a 275w card so I used it to challenge your assessment the J556T wasn't decent; from there, use the connecting rationale I posted & which you qwoted, in order to test your system for stability.

MSI says their card reqwires a 6p & 8p; if so, then by all means use the photo of my ~300w HD5970 which also reqwires a 6/8, as a guide:

0218.6076.JPG

using two different cables (hence two 12v rails), I insert the primary yellow 6p & lay the jumper aside accordingly; I insert the primary 6p of the white cable - lay the jumper aside - & borrow its 2p; this is the most efficient connecting scheme available: you do not 'have' to follow it ... but ...

A new J556T should run HD6990/7990/8990 & all cards that fall under them; if using both its blu-wht & blu-ylw cables & the chassis fails under load, then we might suspect it's time for an easy replacement (J556T / W229G) or a more involved costlier aftermarket swap. Test yours 1st to see  ...

3 Posts

March 13th, 2016 19:00

Well I just want to give you a big thanks! So far everything is good Benchmarks and games I have not been able to run have ran without an issue I have also turned on the factory OC and everything was fine. So once again thank you very much you saved me money and a huge headache!

No Events found!