Highlighted
Atx0071
1 Copper

Very disappointed with Alienware/Dell (M14xR1)

I'm not sure where this thread belongs but I just wanted to express my disgust with Dell and their Alienware products.   If your thinking about getting an Alienware....DON'T!!   

So, I bought a custom built Alienware M14xR1 from the website. All said and done the system costed around $1,600.  I thought for this price it was going to be a great machine a hold up for quite a long time. I was certainly wrong. The laptop shipped from the factory with issues.  It kept randomly shutting down after just a few minutes of operation. I called support and after troubleshooting they decided to schedule a service call.  The gentleman that was sent to repair the machine determined that the fan was never connected before shipping from the factory and the system was overheating very quickly. . That is pretty unacceptable in my opinion.  You would think they would check everything out before shipping right?? Guess not.  Then, when the technician attempted to connect the fan it would not work, it was faulty.  Not connected AND faulty??!!  Really Dell??   So after several days of being on the phone with customer support, troubleshooting, and waiting for the repairs, I finally had a working machine. (How it should have been when it arrived!!)   

Then, just a few months later I started having issues with the battery not charging and holding a charge. (Google: Alienware Plugged In Not Charging) and you will see hundreds of posts of people having the same issue.  Again, back to dealing with customer support.  After hours of troubleshooting again, they were able to get it working again...but this was only temporary.  If would work fine for a day, a few days, sometimes a week or two but the problem would always come back.  So I repeat the steps that tech support gave me time and time again.  Eventually this method no longer works for me so now I have to keep my computer plugged in or it won't work. The battery is done for and now on top of that I'm getting messages at startup telling me the system cant detect the proper power supply that the system needs.  I'm using the same power supply that it shipped with so I don't see how that's possible.  

There are many other things I've had issues with, but this post is long enough already. Look around on Google and you will find thousands of posts of people having issues with them.  I will never buy another Dell/Alienware product again and I just wanted to post this somewhere to warn other thinking about purchasing an Alienware. Save yourself time, headache, and most importantly money by doing business elsewhere. I am also hoping that someone from Dell stumbles across this post so they can understand how frustrating it is to spend $1,600 on something that is complete junk. 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DoubleGeeBar
1 Nickel

RE: Very disappointed with Alienware/Dell (M14xR1)

YEPPER , many folks have the " issues with the battery not charging and holding a charge. (Google: Alienware Plugged In Not Charging) and you will see hundreds of posts of people having the same issue."

-

Along with the complimentary black screening issues which also come in conjunction with " Plugged in NOT charging " issues that everyone was advised to modify / replace / finagle their Video Cards - over and over , sooo much that the card became UNAVAILABLE .

-

Read this about new machines and prit near everyone(seems) had these experiences within 1 - 2 years .

-

Understand that electronics can be hard to validate , but don't validate it and sell it if there are known gremlins ; Then when known gremlins are discovered - Repair or Replace aaaaaand EXTEND WARRENTIES for these units with gremlins .

-

My two cents .

-

Currently my M17x is working - while it is plugged in and NOT charging-- I can re-seat everything and get it to charge-- BUT as soon as I do -- BLACK SCREENS !

-

IT IS NOT THE VIDEO CARDS .

-

Peace ! 

0 Kudos