Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2009 19:00

Video/Pics for Area-51 (non-alx)

I have been researching the Area-51 and cannot find any Video's or HQ pics of the insides of this nice PC. Can someone who has a Area-51 (non-alx) or ALX post a cool Video of Active Venting and Inside the case?

Thanks,

Joe

115 Posts

Jet006,

Thanks Jet006 for that link. How long until you received your EDD? My date still shows Temp unvailable.

115 Posts

Sure bud here's the youtube video link to someone's AREA-51 (non-alx)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkcrhWB_WhM

I am anxiously waiting for mine to ship as well!

115 Posts

December 16th, 2009 22:00

Ya mine's been temp unavaliable since Nov 26th I got my new EDD through Sales Reps using Dell Canada phone 1-800-847-4096. They are assuring me that my order should be shipping out this Friday though.. we'll see..

115 Posts

December 17th, 2009 20:00

keep us updated if you get your PC tomorrow. I hope you do.

4.6K Posts

December 18th, 2009 08:00

Sometimes, when shutting down Win7, the Vents stay open - most probably because of buggy Thermal Software...

I'm just guessing of course, but that *might* be intentional, for occasions when there's still excess heat remaining in the case to be vented?

It's unlikely however, because the warm air would eventually be vented anyway, and any warm air remaining inside, can't possibly cause any harm to components after the machine is switched off?

So I'm inclined to agree with you... it is more likely to be a thermal sensor/thermal software related issue.

You'd have thought (/expected) an obvious problem like that would've been noticed/ironed out during the case design/build phase though, eh?

It's certainly something you'd expect to have been sorted out before the case was released to market

Having said that... do you know if it's common on Aurora systems/cases - rather than maybe just a one-off problem with yours in particular?

115 Posts

December 19th, 2009 19:00

Has anyone here installed an Solid State Drive in the new Area51 case?  I seen some video with SSD drives in the new Area51 case but they have a special 2.5 to 3.5 chassie that the SSD fits into. I can not seem to find that chassie on Dell parts website. I have an SSD drive now and would like to insall it into my future Area51 rig. I have some velcro that I was thinking that i could use to secure the 2.5 SSD into the 3.5 hard drive dock on the new case. I was wanting to see if anyone has done this before.

Has anyone replaced their hard drive in an Area51 and used the respawn DVD to restore the system (with new drive) to factory default settings? Or do you have to install the OS on the new drive, then install drivers, programs, ect...

Thanks to all that reply,

Joe

71 Posts

December 20th, 2009 02:00

Having said that... do you know if it's common on Aurora systems/cases - rather than maybe just a one-off problem with yours in particular?

I actually own the AW-51 not an Aurora. Having said that, I don't think the problem is mechanical rather it is with the buggy nature of all Windows software that we know too well that failed to shut the vents when shutting down ...

Only happens occasionally so doesnt really bother me, and sometimes when the vents are open maybe it does help cool the case ...

4.6K Posts

December 20th, 2009 04:00

I have an SSD drive now and would like to insall it into my future Area51 rig. I have some velcro that I was thinking that i could use to secure the 2.5 SSD into the 3.5 hard drive dock on the new case.

I've heard of many forum users (on other forums, granted) using 2.5" drives in desktop systems Joe.

There are quite a number of different methods of fitting them - from using a proper 3.5" - 2.5" bay adapter/bracket (i.e. these), to just 'suspending' the drive using elastic - to completely eliminate vibration noise altogether.

Fitting a 2.5" SSD drive is no different.

Whilst on the subject of fitting the new drive... and assuming they aren't pre-supplied... I'd advise buying some rubber grommets for the drive screws, if you decide to use a bay adapter.

They're not expensive, and can reduce vibration noise significantly

I use anti-vibration materials in my own(two - self built) tower systems - on all components which normally touch metal, including the hard/optical drives, PSU's, and case fans (you can buy 'vibration dampening kits' specifically for fans and PSU's).

PC's are usually noisy enough as it is, without adding to/increasing the noise levels, and few simple - relatively inexpensive precautionary measures (i.e. rubber grommets/gaskets), can cut noise levels quite dramatically

Re using a respawn disc:  You're lucky you got one first of all!  Dell opt to just use a 'Recovery' partition on their laptops, such that when (note "when" - not "if") the hard drive fails, you're out on a limb, if you haven't created your own image

But a respawn disc definitely does work on new hard drives - and it almost certainly won't matter what type of hardware it's used on (i.e. a standard hard drive or SSD). 

I assume you'll be aware though, that you *may* not be able to use the free disc capacity not used by the restore?

That said... I expect you can now re-allocate the free space after the restore is complete - if not in Disk Management, then with any good partitioning software?

No Events found!