Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 23rd, 2012 07:00

Want my SSD in my M14x that's due to arrive in a week.. but...

... how can I get the alienware specific apps/install packages off the SATA drive that's coming with it first?  I have kits here, to cable up a SATA and have it act like an ext drive..  but are the alienware specific apps and tweaks in an install directory somewhere?  I just would prefer my XPS15's 250 gig SSD drive (only 5 months old) be plugged into the new alienware m14x when it shows up.. obviously for speed/access reasons.. and this will be my first Alienware machine :)

Thanks!

Jeff

January 24th, 2012 05:00

Well .. unfortunately that's not an option I want to pursue; this is a work laptop and I don't want to spend the day copying over and configuring it all over again .. (sigh) ..

January 24th, 2012 07:00

Yeah.. it appears I might have to bite the proverbial bullet and setup the new m14x and then save my apps/cfgs off the SSD to a share.. then clone the m14x to it.. and just take the time to resetup my work stuff..  ;/

215 Posts

January 24th, 2012 07:00

I installed a new harddrive on my M11X three weeks ago.  It was not a bad process.  

You can clone the harddrive on your M14X into your SSD.  There are cloning kits out there that copy everything from your existing harddrive into the new one.  Once done, you could simply install it and then turn the machine on.  Mine worked as if it was the old HD.  No issues whatsoever.  

This is the cloning kit I used:

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1

This video shows you how to clone it:

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu7Ko3eraIg]

There is a good video on youtube that shows you how to take apart your M14X.  You can do a search for it.  Try "installing a harddrive on an Alienware M14X" or something similar.  I found a good video that way I just don't have it handy.

If needed, when I get home I will post it.

Good luck.

January 24th, 2012 08:00

That handyman video.. states in the beginning..  he barely saw any difference between the SSD and SATA that came with it?  I find that hard to belive.. I've done a desktop and XPS laptop .. and noticed a big difference in access speeds!

215 Posts

January 24th, 2012 08:00

Yeah, it was weird to hear that.  But SSD's are much faster. It's the way to go!

January 24th, 2012 09:00

I'm annoyed I'm losing my blu-ray drive with this XPS15 .. why don't they sell them for these alienwares?  I wonder if I can buy one and swap it myself somehow..

215 Posts

January 24th, 2012 15:00

It would have been great had the M14X had the Blu-Ray option.  I would have jumped on it.  I just use an external USB one for mine. But you can possibly swap it, depending on how big the Blu-Ray's are.

215 Posts

January 24th, 2012 15:00

Jeff, Here is the video  I told you about. It shows how to dissassemble the M14X

[View:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXGkRKrjv70]

January 25th, 2012 05:00

Nice thanks!

215 Posts

January 25th, 2012 06:00

No problem.

No Events found!