Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 30th, 2010 12:00

Welll As much as I hated Dell a few weeks a ago.........I did it again.......LOL

I just oAfeter a hoorenous experience with a refurbed M15X a few weeks ago with dell service and RMA process
I just ordered an M17X on the Outlet....

My M15X I ordered a few weeks ago was a complte mess...and three days of hassle to return it. But after perusing the MSI.s ASUS, Envy....and having four Dell Notebooks from the outlet Mall the oldest 10 years old STILL running........... I decided to give them another chance...

This time I made actual contact and got an extension of an American contact. Very important...

Dell offers a 15 day return policy and a one YEAR return -15% which I am comfortable with since I used a 15% off coupon.

The system I chose was
i7 640M (After extensive reading I did not fond the Quad 720 to be all that much better unless fully loaded and I already have a quad desktop)
Twin 160GB 7200 drives in Raid 0 ) (which I will call Dell support and switch to two independent drives)
4GB RAM (plenty for my laptop application)
Samsung WUXGA LED ( Really wanted the lower rez 1440 like I have now but not much choice in the outlet)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870 (Plenty fast enough no need for DX11 today)
Standard DVD Drive recorder
BT
WIndows Ultimate Which I am already running on 5 machines in my house. Love Bit Locker.
Nebula Red ugh....(not my choice but outlet doesn't give you one)

A HAT and MOUSE PAD YAY? Actually I asked if the "box candy" came with the refurbs because they did not come with the M15X HE claimed they did...............We shall see...

I was torn between this and and this for $100 More
Alienware M17x R2 Laptop
Processor: Intel Core i7-720QM Quad Core Processor 1.6GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache)
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium
500 GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
6 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066MHz (2 DIMMs)
WUXGA+
8X DVD +/- RW w/dbl layer write capability
1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4870

But decided in the end I did not need 6GB Ram and the i620 would be faster and cooler overall for my lappy apps.  Home Premium doesn't have Bit Locker, I wanted two spindle drives. I am not convinced SSD is ready for prime time yet in price vs performance.

So here I am a 55 year old with a 20 friggin pound RED 20lb "Hasbro" looking "disco" beast coming. I hope this is better than the last one.
All I wanted was a backlit keyboard.......

My second choice was the MSI GX660 and the Sager but at $1699 vs $1232 no brainer and Dell at least has in home service for a year rather then having to send your machine away for weeks. I have found if these things work for a year they will work for 5. I just could not find a better bang for the buck , In three years a $3000 Alienware/ASUS/MSI/SAGER will be a turtle so I may as well spend as less as possible for what I need to do TODAY.

IF you order off the outlet CALL a sales rep. I did not do this last time and had no one to go to. No extension for help. He even expedited the order (so he says) LOL

Looking forward to reading more of these threads and hoping for the best.

Home built Q6600 based Home Recording Studio desktop, Acer Netbook.

Buy what you need for TODAY....."Future proofing" is silly in this technology.....if not impossible
No Responses!
No Events found!