Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 15th, 2014 12:00

What is your all take on Norton internet security ???

Hi all what is your take on Norton Internet Security i can get it free from comcast and was wondering what all is your take on it? is it any good and should i use it?.

445 Posts

May 16th, 2014 15:00

It is much better than Windows defender. I know you want the best you can get for your Alienware computer. I have had my R4 for 19 months, used Norton all that time and then some with no problems. Beings the version Comcast uses is written for Comcast, go to the link below and join the Comcast forum and see what everyone there's opinion is of Norton. It's a great site with lots questions and answers about Comcast. There are a few Comcast engineers and employees that monitor the site

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/comcast

901 Posts

May 15th, 2014 17:00

IMO - its one if not the best anti-virus around, it works on Alienware computers with no issues, I've installed in on both alienware laptops and desktop 100's of times with no problem, much improved on the old Norton that sucked your CPU power, this uses less than 1% and also has some pretty cool add ons like ID safe which will remember ALL of your logins and user names and fill them automatically

353 Posts

May 15th, 2014 19:00

cool thanks for the info 

445 Posts

May 15th, 2014 19:00

I think it's the best anti virus suite, free or not. It is a lot more than just a anti virus program and has many features  like Security, Identity, Backup and tune up and they are all very functional and useful. I have Comcast for my ISP and have been using the Norton program since it was offered by Comcast, I  have never had a problem with it. At one time, Norton was a real resource hog, but that was all changed in 2009, it's very light on resources now. One program that Comcast offers is Constant Guard and tries to bundle it in with Norton. Pass on that, it's more trouble than it's worth.

353 Posts

May 15th, 2014 20:00

awesome thanks :) 

48 Posts

May 16th, 2014 05:00

I wouldn't touch anything from Norton with a 10 foot pole. Same goes for Mcafee. I consider them almost malware in their own right. Both companies for example have to offer a tool to completely remove their junk from your machine, a simple uninstall wont do it. 5 years ago I threw Norton out of our corporate environment. Dog slow, frequent crash's the logs traced back to Norton, missed a lot of malware, poor email handling, and so on. I have alternated between Kaspersky, AVG, and Malwarebytes. for our 50+ workstations, 50 tablets, dozen laptops, 9 servers. Now granted, I purchase corporate editions, generally running agents on the workstations and deploy remotely from servers, but Norton lost me years ago and they don't get a second chance. Look, for personal use you can get a 3 machine license of Malwarebytes for like 30 bucks. If you can afford an Alienware you can afford that. I run it on my 5 personal machines. Lightweight, fast, and very good.

445 Posts

May 16th, 2014 07:00

I would have to agree and also disagree with your statement. When you say Norton was bad 5 years ago you are right. It took up too many resources, and missed almost as much as it caught. That was before 2009 and that's all changed now. It now has a very light footprint and you never know it's running. Malwarebytes is a great little Malware removal program which I use the free version and run it twice a week  To me it's just that, a malware removal tool. I can run Malwarebytes deepest scan and it may detect a "PUP" on rare occasions and nothing more. To me that means Norton is doing a pretty good job. The Comcast version of Norton is the latest 360 version which they give their own numbering to. We all have opinions of what works and what doesn't work. Since I started using the Comcast version of Norton and the free version of Malwarebytes, I have not had one problem and I have 3  grandkids who use my computer. Until such time as I start having problems I will stick with what works. Beings they are both free, its a big bonus.

353 Posts

May 16th, 2014 15:00

wow ok so should i use it i mean is it better then windows defender on win 8 i see a debate going on kinda makes me scared here. 

No Events found!