Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 2nd, 2015 09:00

Which Disc? (and more)

I am installing a new Hard Drive in to my: Alienware X51 i7 (GeForce GTX 555)

I mixed up my old disks with my new ones so:

I have 2 Alienware Win 7 disks  P/N T8R68:  So I guess they are both the same.

I also have X51 resource DVD P/N 7Y9k7  and Aueoea-R4 resource DVD: I am guessing I use the X51 disc?  Also what is this disk for?  And when do I install it?

Is this how I should proceed?   Format the new hard drive, make a D: partition and copy over the old D: Hidden restore files to the new drive.  Put in the new drive into my PC.  Run the Alienware Win7 disk.  Then use the Resource disk?

Thanks for any help on this

2.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2015 11:00

If the Alienware respawn program works correctly, it will restore your computer to factory settings.  Meaning that all the programs that came with your computer will be restored.  That also means if your computer came with Windows 7, it will have Windows 7 restored back and you will loose windows 8. 

2.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2015 10:00

Your computer should come with Alienware Respawn.  If you can, make a boot able restore disc from that.  The disc will restore the OS/Drivers/Restore partition on your new HDD and you won't have to mess with anything else.  

If for some reason you cannot do that, install the HDD first of course.  Then install windows 7.  You do not need to format the new HDD as it is already done and the windows installer will do it anyway.  Once windows is fully loaded use the X51 resource DVD to install the drivers for your computer.  They will be factory fresh drivers (aka old ones) but you can go to Dell's support site to download and install the new ones.  Please note that using the Windows/Resource DVDs will not create any sort of restore partition, so keep those DVDs in a safe place. 

6 Posts

March 2nd, 2015 11:00

Thank you for you quick replay beamermt79.  But please let me ask this.

My computer was updated to win 8 and in the process I lost many of the Alienware tools like the FX program to change my lights.  I do have the Alien re-spawn and can make the backup like you suggested.  If I do, will it recover the old alienware tool like FX?   I really want that back, more than windows 8.

6 Posts

March 2nd, 2015 12:00

Thanks for the help!  All I really want is Alien FX. I can live with out Win 8 till 10 comes out this year.

5* answer!

No Events found!