Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2017 04:00

White screen of death on shutdown from Windows 10 after lAAST 2 BIOS updates from Alienware 17 r3

Evertime i shut my machine down since the last two bios updates i am cut off halfway through the windows shutdown process by a white screen before it shuts down or restarts please help

13 Posts

January 24th, 2017 17:00

try rebooting in safemode and then testing the shutdown that way.

Then fully boot it and open CMD and run a "sfc /scannow". this will scan and try to fix any windows issues without having to do a clean install.

Last resort is to clean install, even then, if it's an hardware issue, might not fix the issue

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 13th, 2017 10:00

Hi,

Do you have to shut the computer off manually when that happens? What happens when the system starts back?

Try reflashing the Bios again here:

http://dell.to/2jg6BHS

Also, run the command prompt "shutdown /s" and let me know if the same happens.

8 Posts

January 14th, 2017 08:00

The system if I shut down through the start menu does this I have tried the last two bioses with no difference of activity halfway through the windows powering off it turns white and sometimes I get an error message from bitdefender I will try the shutdown /s soon

Would appreciate your help as it is not filling me with confidence about recommended updates for my machine so thank you !

8 Posts

January 14th, 2017 20:00

shutdown /s shuts the machine down with the normal windows shutdown wheel. if i shut it down from the start menu i still get a white screen. reflashing doesnt work

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 16th, 2017 11:00

If the computer shuts down well using the command prompt, then the problem may be related to some application blocking the regular shutdown. You can try a clean boot, here is an article that will show you how to do it:

http://dell.to/2js9iWL

8 Posts

January 22nd, 2017 02:00

This method only works for a few shutdowns or restarts then it goes back to the white screen! please help

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 23rd, 2017 10:00

The clean boot method? 

8 Posts

January 23rd, 2017 19:00

Yes I have tried it aand no programs seem to trigger it. Once i have been using it for a few days maybe three or four or five restarts the white screen comes back and i am back to square one

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 24th, 2017 11:00

Then probably a clean install will be the only option. 

8 Posts

January 28th, 2017 06:00

clean install fixed it guys cheers!

No Events found!