Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2016 18:00

Windows 10 - Any Last Suggestions?

Greetings All, I have a stock Area 51 ALX (2009), Raid 0, dual NVidia GT295's, A11 bios with a sound card and USB card filling up my PCI slots. With the help of ACRONIS, I have tried several times/ways to upgrade from Win 7 to Windows 10 as time permitted over the last six to eight months. I have read each thread posted on these forums pretty carefully. I have tried unplugging the MIO board before upgrading, etc. Each time I get a blue screen....on automatic restart is usually posts and goes to desktop and runs very nicely with no issues with fans or lights. The error is usually something like... driver_irql_not_less_or_equal (iaStorA.sys) which seems to point to the Intel Rapid Storage Tech which I have tried to both uninstall and/or upgrade to the Win 10 version....before and after the upgrade to Windows 10 to no avail. So, before the July 29th Windows 10 "Free" period ends, I ask if anyone has any last tips. Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

July 5th, 2016 20:00

I traded out my i7 960 for a 975, I'm moments away from another in-place upgrade on my ALX, so the activation server pairs my 975 to my motherboard, now, while I can. I will disconnect MIO USB as soon as it restarts here in a moment & report back tomorrow if there are any post-install issues. Silly me, I went to M$oft.com for the Upgrade Assistant which is taking its merry time, grrrrr. Mine is a clean 7Pro SP1 barebones install with Driver Suite & just a (Alien) programs

7318.Capture.JPG

I agree a clean install on separate drive is good advice to gauge retention or loss of BSOD

no RAID for me or IRST

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

Windows 10 Forum here also, a separate post in there or on Arena may help yield last minute advice

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Clean install Win-10/64bit from Microsoft usb-flash.iso to a new temporary boot drive. Never install Intel-RST, only minimal drivers. Get Win-10 to say Activated Genuine. Might have to use CoA-Key from sticker on side of machine.

Win-10/64 running fine here and I wrote a post about it and drivers I used for AW-CC.

I don't mess with RAIDs on desktops, I use Boot-OS SSD instead.

July 6th, 2016 01:00

If you can get hold of a full-version Windows 10 official ISO image from MSDN or some place similar, you should be able to call Microsoft to get help and explain your situation. Usually MS is happy to assist customers with getting their latest OS onto a system. MS may even give you a brand-new Windows 10 key to use.  I believe it's also possible to do an upgrade using a full-version image, but I may be mistaken.

Another  suggestion:  try upgrading from a "barebones" (stripped-down or "lean") version of Windows 7. This should force the upgrade to find the new version of drivers for you--or use the Win10 versions that you provide.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

July 8th, 2016 20:00

How To Fix IaStorA.sys Blue Screen Errors (BSOD)

drop iaStorA.sys in a google search, see what u scare up

2.3K Posts

July 27th, 2016 12:00

Just kill it with FIRE!

159 Posts

July 27th, 2016 12:00

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I implemented all of them. I picked up a 480GB Corsair Neutron XT for $170 on Amazon and used a cd .iso windows 10 disk that I made.  The install went well.  Running a very stable and very fast Windows 10 pro on my Alienware Area 51 ALX.  Couple items to note:  I still have my dual 10k drives with Windows 7 installed.  I don't know if I'll keep the dual boot option, but for now, it's comforting....Also, all the AlienFX items work fine including the vents, except I have "flare" check and it doesn't seem to do that - yet.  The vents do close when restarting or shutting down and open when booting.  Also, I have Bitdefender and the thermal controls puts the antivirus in "Game Mode".  Other than those subtle things, all is good.

159 Posts

August 1st, 2016 11:00

I'm sorry BeamerMT79, I have no idea what your trying to suggest...

But anyway....

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit running wonderfully and fast on my new SSD.  Got Bitdefender out of "game mode" by unchecking "let it automatically manage profiles".  Upgraded to CC 2.8.11 and it's working great.  No "flare" vents on boot up, but a small price to pay..atleast the open and shut....Windows 7 completely gone, formatted dual drives.  But, kept 2 Win 7 Acronis back-ups that I could restore.  Thanks to all for your suggestions.

159 Posts

August 5th, 2016 07:00

Bluetooth Update.

Anyone still having Bluetooth issues with a Dell 365 module after a win 10 upgrade?  The Broadcom website has a Win 10 64 bit version 12.0.1.940 that is working perfectly and even identifies the module as a 365 rather than generic.

159 Posts

August 9th, 2016 18:00

After todays small Windows update to the Anniversary edition of Windows 10 and a few other security updates my vents "Flare" on start-up as selected.  Perhaps a coincidence?  But who cares.....LOL....

No Events found!