Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 1st, 2016 14:00

Windows 10 + Ubuntu on Alienware area 51

Anyone managed to install and boot Linux on this machine. I went all the way but never managed to get the Ubuntu boot sequence to show Ubuntu on the uefibootmgr .

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

August 2nd, 2016 15:00

Hi,

Just to provide an official word to this, we do not support Ubuntu on our machines, except for some very specific exceptions. You could also try posting this on the Notebook Review and Alienware Arena forums for assistance.

5 Posts

August 3rd, 2016 09:00

To be clear on the Alienware Area 51 I can't access to that boot screen allowing to do the suggested changes

www.dell.com/.../en

Thanks

5 Posts

Ok I know that far that but any unofficial word? Deep learning using GPU multiprocessor only works in Ubuntu(Linux). It was sadly the reason I bought the Area 51

8 Posts

Hey, its a good question. I have installed Ubuntu 16.04.1 to my Aurora R5 to do GPU programming. Until now I have only problem with `shutdown` whatever I did until now I did not solve it, only reboot is working properly. But anyway, I am not turn off my computer.

I installed Ubuntu on my SSD and Windows is installed on HDD so they are in different disks. In the beginning I had real problems with GTX 1080 which is not supported in the installation because of that while my suggestion is to you, Try to install Ubuntu while using Intel graphic output, you will not get any problem, don't try to get use your external GPU in the beginning. Later, you will install your Nvidia Driver and you can use your GPU properly.

p.s.: please let me know if you run Ubuntu smoothly, and able to shut down it :)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 3rd, 2016 10:00

You might get more users who tried this by also asking on the Linux Forum.

No Events found!