Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 2nd, 2013 16:00

Windows 8 drivers for the M17x R3

Hello people :)

I was wondering when we can expect Windows 8 (x64) drivers for the M17x R3?

My M17x R3 has the Radeon 6990M.

Best regards

Dfir

2.2K Posts

February 2nd, 2013 19:00

Hi dfir,

Welcome to the Community.

I am afraid to let you know that Alienware M17x R3 is not supported for Windows 8. Please refer to the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/TZf93Z

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

4 Posts

March 7th, 2013 15:00

Hello Manshu

Thank you for your answer. I do however feel a bit annoyed about this and I'm beginning to think that my Alienware was the wrong brand to buy.

I bought my Alienware M17x R3 one year and 4 months ago. Meaning that it is just over a year old and now I cannot even upgrade to the newest operating system? That's not fair. An Aliienware is not a cheap laptop, one would expect that some service and driver updates would be provided, however they're not.

The latest graphics driver for my Radeon 6990M is almost two years old (07/2011). I just ran a benchmark with the new  Futuremark 2013 on my laptop and the application stated that my graphics driver is not approved. Do I have the opportunity to update it? No...

I would suggest that Dell/Alienware would put some effort into making sure that their customers feel that they actually get something for their money instead of just a piece of hardware with no future in it.

I hope the above makes sense and this has nothing to do with Manshu or any specific person. I'm just trying to express my dissatisfaction in regards to Dell/Alienware.

Again, thank you for your answer Manshu.

-- Dfir

2.4K Posts

March 7th, 2013 17:00

Hello Manshu

Thank you for your answer. I do however feel a bit annoyed about this and I'm beginning to think that my Alienware was the wrong brand to buy.

I bought my Alienware M17x R3 one year and 4 months ago. Meaning that it is just over a year old and now I cannot even upgrade to the newest operating system? That's not fair. An Aliienware is not a cheap laptop, one would expect that some service and driver updates would be provided, however they're not.

The latest graphics driver for my Radeon 6990M is almost two years old (07/2011). I just ran a benchmark with the new  Futuremark 2013 on my laptop and the application stated that my graphics driver is not approved. Do I have the opportunity to update it? No...

I would suggest that Dell/Alienware would put some effort into making sure that their customers feel that they actually get something for their money instead of just a piece of hardware with no future in it.

I hope the above makes sense and this has nothing to do with Manshu or any specific person. I'm just trying to express my dissatisfaction in regards to Dell/Alienware.

Again, thank you for your answer Manshu.

-- Dfir

Have you tried new drivers from AMD?

AMD 6990m Win8 64-bit driver

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

4 Posts

March 8th, 2013 13:00

Hello morblore

Yes, I've tried all official ways of updating the GFX driver. AMD will not let you do it, since the drivers are supposed to be manipulated by the OEMs to work with their respective laptops. The application simply states that the hardware is unsupported.

I know that there are unofficial ways of updating the GFX drivers, but they're simply too complicated to be enjoyable.

And as far as I've read you also loose the ability to switch between the IGP and the discrete GFX.

Correct me if i'm wrong and please do let me know of a webpage that has instructions to easily update the Radeon drivers with official ones if know of such a site :)

3 Posts

June 25th, 2013 03:00

Hello,

I also have an Alienware M17x R3 *** from late 2011. 
And I am also angry about not being able to update my OS to Windows 8! 
This laptop cost me almost 2500 €. And Dell / Alienware does not even offers support for a change of OS?? 
This is just wrong and unfair!

I demand that you give your customers the ability to access Windows and future updates!

I regret every day to have invested in you and be one of your customers, see how you treat us then! And believe me, I give you the bad publicity since I noticed that you did not take into account the updated Windows 8 to 17x R3!

---------------------

DFIR:

On the updated ATI drivers, I had the same problem as you. I finally found the solution.

- Go on this site:
http://www.touslesdrivers.com

- click on "My Drivers" at the top, orange.

- At the bottom, click on "start detection"

- It will offer you to install a plugin -----> OK

- Once analyzed the pc, it will offer you the updates for each component. 
Go on line 6990 of your graphics card.

- Downloads.

- Once downloaded, double click and choose to uninstall.

- After uninstalling, you should probably reboot.

- as soon as you reboot, go back to your downloads and restarts the ATI Setup file. And then you choose "install".

- Then restarts.

And voila! 
Normally most of the problem and your graphics card is up to date. 
Many people try to install new drivers for the old top. This is not good. The clean install is the only solution! 

Note that I'm French that is the Google translation lol

Regards
Jymboh
No Events found!