Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2012 10:00

Windows Updates

My Aurora crashed hard and I am in the process of replacing the hard drive, memory and the graphics card.  The AW tech I spoke with yesterday suggested that once I reinstall windows, I should shut off the windows updates.  He indicated that the updates were not customized to Alienware and may cause more problems.  He mentioned that I should look for driver updates from time to time at Dell support, but as long as I am running an updated virus protection, that is all I needed to do.  Does this sound reasonable?  There are constantly updates being pushed out and I have to believe that at least some of them are necessary.

Was looking for reactions...

Thanks.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 20th, 2012 13:00

jmille8934

I only allow windows update to prompt me when there is an update from them. I choose Custom and only load the High Priority non-hardware updates. All hardware updates (video card, sound card, etc.) should come from our File Library.

23 Posts

August 24th, 2012 16:00

I also choose to be prompted before they dl. Did you try a full format of the hdd and reinstallation? I would definitely try that before replacements. I have had many problems with windows update, I.e. HDMI not working, fingerprint scanner not recognized, (on my old HP), but I have never seen a crash. Although I imagine its possible. If it did, I would imagine it is related to software. If you haven't tried, do a full wipe, and try to reinstall.

5 Posts

August 24th, 2012 05:00

thanks Chris M, this seems to be the most prudent approach.  Unfortunately I now need to have my motherboard replaced, but some point I will have a working system again and I will follow your guidance.

23 Posts

August 24th, 2012 16:00

What happened with the mobo?

5 Posts

August 25th, 2012 05:00

Thanks, working with the AW guys on getting back up, we are starting from resetting the hd configuration, hopefully that will get things right - the techs did suspect (along with nearly every component in the box!), that the OS was corrupted, possibly due to the updates being incompatible with Alienware.  

5 Posts

August 25th, 2012 05:00

Great question.  The display frequently just disappears.  The CPU seems to be grinding along, but it is not usable in any way.  Been dealing with this for over a month now, bought a $600 graphics card on the tech's advice, replaced the memory and the hard drive and now we are awaiting a tech to swap out the mb.  Almost feels like we are grasping at straws?

23 Posts

August 25th, 2012 11:00

It seems like hundreds of mobos are the culprit. I have NEVER seen a mobo "die" because of windows updates. But that is the answer 90% of the time from a.w. tech support. And I myself have had numerous issues with updates. But nothing to that extent. That's why I hate the 2011 socket type in the auroras. If they would have been built with an lga 1155 board I probably wouldn't have built my desktop. But I'm glad I did. It was an awesome experience. Oh, and every single component has a 3 or 5 year warranty. Lol. But I LOVE a.w.'s laptops.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

August 25th, 2012 14:00

Thanks, working with the AW guys on getting back up, we are starting from resetting the hd configuration, hopefully that will get things right - the techs did suspect (along with nearly every component in the box!), that the OS was corrupted, possibly due to the updates being incompatible with Alienware.  

Just use Windows Update for the OS updates. The driver updates are optional (on the other tab) . Just skip those and get your drivers from Dell or direct from AMD, etc. Sometimes Microsoft's best guess at drivers is not good enough (so pass on all).

Blaming OS updates is usually a cop-out, lame excuse.

However, getting the wrong driver installed from Windows Update can cause just as much problems as installing an improper driver the conventional way. Just don't use that route for drivers.

No Events found!