Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2012 15:00

X-51 BSOD - nvlddmkm.sys

Been occasionally getting crashes with the below info in my logs. Looks like it is related to either the nvidia 555 card or driver? Anyone else seen this before, i'm hoping it's something simple. Also these crashes dont occur during any gaming. Last crash occurred while browsing my folders.

Fault bucket X64_0x116_TdrBCR:4:C000009A_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys, type 0

Event Name: BlueScreen

Response: http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/resredir.aspx?sid=1&Bucket=X64_0x116_TdrBCR:4:C000009A_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys&ID=433a709d-cfca-4489-8790-f4c3f44d7c2a

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1:

P2:

P3:

P4:

P5:

P6:

P7:

P8:

P9:

P10:

Attached files:

C:\Windows\Minidump\022712-27955-01.dmp

C:\Users\rich\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-43524-0.sysdata.xml

C:\Users\rich\AppData\Local\Temp\WERD622.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Kernel_0_0_cab_0c450b17

Analysis symbol: X64_0x116_TdrBCR:4:C000009A_IMAGE_nvlddmkm.sys

Rechecking for solution: 0

Report Id: 022712-27955-01

Report Status: 1

245 Posts

February 27th, 2012 15:00

try hwmonitor free app.... how are your GTX555 temps at idle and in-game?  

Should be near 70C at LOAD when gaming.  Of course the ambient temp will impact that temp + or -.  But if your massively above that it would not be normal.

82 Posts

February 27th, 2012 16:00

when gaming or under load, pretty much stays at 70c.

havent had it crash while gaming. it's idle around 45C - 50c

82 Posts

February 27th, 2012 16:00

Also I am using hdmi from the nvidia card.

also peek temp I just got playing at max settings. Room Temp around 68/70F.

temp 76C

Fan 45 %  1980 rpm

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 27th, 2012 20:00

Test the video card using the DVI-I-1 port furthest from the HDMI directly to the monitor DVI port and see if the issue continues.

82 Posts

February 27th, 2012 22:00

Will try that tomorrow. Weird thing is it doesnt happen under load or while gaming.  I can just be copying files or browsing folders - then out of the blue freeze/crash. I can go a day or more without seeing the issue.  Highst temp while gaming has been 85C. Fan is definately running.

No errors in event log.

Ran the stress test included in the Alien autopsy software - no prob. a couple times when I started AlienAutopsy the software would crash - click again and it's fine.

Thx!

Rich

-------

82 Posts

February 28th, 2012 16:00

Couldnt get it to happen with dvi but then again it doesnt do on demand with hdmi either. Usually crashes while idle -browsing files or a txt doc. pulled the card to check for any running cables (looked ok) reseated and now rubbing stress test - temp 82C fan 61% (2580rpm). curious if the error i get during the crash is similiar to those with the shutdown issue.

82 Posts

February 28th, 2012 18:00

found this on MS. This is value i recieved each time.

Bug Check 0x116: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

The VIDEO_TDR_ ERROR bug check has a value of 0x00000116. This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.

Important Info If You Have Received a STOP Code

If you received a blue screen error, or stop code, the computer has shut down abruptly to protect itself from data loss. A hardware device, its driver, or related software might have caused this error. If your copy of Windows came with your computer, call the manufacturer of your computer. If you purchased Windows separately from your computer, Microsoft provides support. To find contact info for Microsoft or your computer manufacturer, Contact Support.

82 Posts

February 28th, 2012 20:00

ok.. just got off the phone with alienware support. Explained my problem. They uninstalled my Dell Nvidia drivers and downloaded / installed the latest from nvidia site.

Now we will just wait and see. I didnt realize there is a charge on a new machine under warranty if you reinstall anything without calling dell first when you get a blue screen :O.

If it crashes again i get my money back and and they will fix under warranty. So i got that going for me.

245 Posts

February 28th, 2012 21:00

Never heard of that before.  there should be no charges for that.  Might want to talk to a supervisor next time.  You already pay for a warranty hence no charges.

20 Posts

February 28th, 2012 21:00

rich000 wrote: "I didnt realize there is a charge on a new machine under warranty if you reinstall anything without calling dell first when you get a blue screen :O."

Are you saying they'll charge us?

82 Posts

February 28th, 2012 23:00

Thats pretty much what I was told. Because I reinstalled the OS after some crashes  with their cd that they provide - followed up by their drivers. *** Keeping the same partition structure.

Nothing magical happened on the call - he removed my dell nvidia drivers and installed the latest off the nvidia website.

If the machine crashes after that he said i'll get my money back and get the nachine fixed. Too tired to argue. So if my machine catches on fire, grows wings and flies away now - my warranty is free.

82 Posts

February 29th, 2012 06:00

so far so good - though it is not easy to reproduce problem - gonna give it a few days.

Not seeing any negatives from the latest nvidia driver.

i'll update with any news good or bad.

82 Posts

February 29th, 2012 07:00

Sent. Thx Chris!

Just a note... THe tech assigned was courteous and performed his job well.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 29th, 2012 07:00

They should not have charged you. Send me a Private Message (click my username, click Send Message) with the following data so I can look into this -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Service Tag number:

82 Posts

March 1st, 2012 18:00

Just an update on this - since running the latest driver from nvidia (rec from dell) I have not experianced these crashes thus far as well as some gaming improvement. :) Since mucking around with this while troubleshooting i did a complete windows install for the warm fuzzies. (keeping the gpt / efi partitioning intact) windows still used the first partition of 300M for system and i even left the restore partition for now.

Installed the drivers (correct order). and restored my personal stuff and installed my apps. Now that i know I have a clean build I will keep an eye on things.

One thing i thought about while doing this and gpt/efi is pretty new to me on the pc is, will Acronis 2012 do a bare metal restore of gpt/efi to a new disk? The answer is maybe or not easily. It certainly will backup and allow you to restore to the original disk / partitions out of the box. This is what i found out talking to Acronis rep. Even disk director doesnt recognize efi. it kind stinks since i have used this product reliably for a long time:( - but i'm sure it will be in 2013.  Just passing this along.

I am trying out another product paragon hard disk manager 12 which looks to fit the bill - plus can allow for resizing and other goodies for a bare metal restore. Becouse we backup so when the big on hits and we need a new drive - a simple restore is a nice feature.

Oh yeah and the throwing star dvd feature is cool.

No Events found!