8 Krypton

Re: X-51 BSOD - nvlddmkm.sys

Never heard of that before.  there should be no charges for that.  Might want to talk to a supervisor next time.  You already pay for a warranty hence no charges.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Thats pretty much what I was told. Because I reinstalled the OS after some crashes  with their cd that they provide - followed up by their drivers. *** Keeping the same partition structure.

Nothing magical happened on the call - he removed my dell nvidia drivers and installed the latest off the nvidia website.

If the machine crashes after that he said i'll get my money back and get the nachine fixed. Too tired to argue. So if my machine catches on fire, grows wings and flies away now - my warranty is free.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

so far so good - though it is not easy to reproduce problem - gonna give it a few days.

Not seeing any negatives from the latest nvidia driver.

i'll update with any news good or bad.

0 Kudos

They should not have charged you. Send me a Private Message (click my username, click Send Message) with the following data so I can look into this -
Email Address:
Name:
Shipping Address:
Phone Number:
Service Tag number:

Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Technical Support (Desktops, Monitors, Laptops)
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Sent. Thx Chris!

Just a note... THe tech assigned was courteous and performed his job well.

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Just an update on this - since running the latest driver from nvidia (rec from dell) I have not experianced these crashes thus far as well as some gaming improvement. 🙂 Since mucking around with this while troubleshooting i did a complete windows install for the warm fuzzies. (keeping the gpt / efi partitioning intact) windows still used the first partition of 300M for system and i even left the restore partition for now.

Installed the drivers (correct order). and restored my personal stuff and installed my apps. Now that i know I have a clean build I will keep an eye on things.

One thing i thought about while doing this and gpt/efi is pretty new to me on the pc is, will Acronis 2012 do a bare metal restore of gpt/efi to a new disk? The answer is maybe or not easily. It certainly will backup and allow you to restore to the original disk / partitions out of the box. This is what i found out talking to Acronis rep. Even disk director doesnt recognize efi. it kind stinks since i have used this product reliably for a long time:( - but i'm sure it will be in 2013.  Just passing this along.

I am trying out another product paragon hard disk manager 12 which looks to fit the bill - plus can allow for resizing and other goodies for a bare metal restore. Becouse we backup so when the big on hits and we need a new drive - a simple restore is a nice feature.

Oh yeah and the throwing star dvd feature is cool.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
bpt15205
1 Nickel

I appear to be having the same issue.  I had the NVidia website scan my PC, and it told me that I had the most updated drivers for the GTX 555, so I don't think updating drivers will resolve this.

Like the OP, this only occurs when I'm doing something low key like typing an Email, or browsing a news site.  I can play Mass Effect 3 or Skyrim for 2 or 3 hours straight and it won't happen.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

I appear to be having the same issue.  I had the NVidia website scan my PC, and it told me that I had the most updated drivers for the GTX 555, so I don't think updating drivers will resolve this.

Like the OP, this only occurs when I'm doing something low key like typing an Email, or browsing a news site.  I can play Mass Effect 3 or Skyrim for 2 or 3 hours straight and it won't happen.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Sounds like it might be a conflict with the nVidia drivers, not handling Desktop Aero or IE9 Hardware Acceleration properly. Disable either/both and see how it works.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

The nvidia website scan will see the 555 as a non-supported card.  The latest drivers will in fact work it supports the 560se which i think is the retail equiv of the 555 oem. NOt saying my issue was a problem with the dell driver - may have been caused by a piece of software I installed - also others are running the latest dell driver without incident. I wound up with the latest nvidia driver as part of troubleshooting and to be honest it works just fine. My issue was remedied more than likely by the clean uninstall/reinstall. It ran fine after that for weeks.

** uninstall all nvidia software via control panel / programs and issue the reboots when prompted. One thing i had to do was when the graphic drivers themselves were removed i had to swap from the mini on the discrete card to the onboard to get my display back - after i issued the reboot i plugged back into the discrete and she displayed using the windows drivers. Cleaned up using ccleaner and installed all the nvidia drivers.

Since then I have done a clean windows 7 install with provided dvd - mostly due to acronis 2012 not wanting to clean up after uninstall. Recently i upgraded to 296.10 and she's good. The reinstall is no big shakes - leave the gpt partitioning alone and reinstall into existing c partition. It will place your current user and system data under a dir windows.old.

Still haven't crashed since.

0 Kudos
bpt15205
1 Nickel

Thanks Rich.. I was wondering that myself.  I will give it a shot with the newer drivers.

0 Kudos