Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 8th, 2013 16:00

X51 GTX 660 - Major Performance Issues

Just received my i5 GTX660 X51 and first impressions are horrible. Basically, any game I run is starting of great (High Settings/60fps) but very quickly (within 30 seconds or so) drops to sub 10 fps until it grinds to a halt. The closest thread I could find on the topic was this one:

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19465979/20181968.aspx

The thread recommends installing MSI Afterburner to set the Fan Speeds to maximum, which I did, but this only ups the 30 seconds to about a minute until performance is brought to a halt. The above thread is also from Sept 2012 and several posts mention waiting for an Nvidia Driver fix, but we're in April 2013 now so I thought the latest drivers would have fixed this by now?

I'm extremely <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> at dell/alienware at the moment - how can such a major issues like this still be present over 6 months since it was reported?? Solutions please - Thank you.

245 Posts

April 8th, 2013 23:00

Update to A12 BIOS if you don't already have that version.  Locate your PCIe Gen setting and change it from Gen3 to Gen2 and see if that helps you.

245 Posts

April 9th, 2013 15:00

Not all X51s show this behavior, so it seems to vary by system and it's being investigated...

In the interim, the GTX660 is a PCI-e gen3 card but fully backwards compatible with Gen2.  The good news is there is no performance difference between Gen2/3 with current generation cards on X51 and it's a better solution than relying on Afterburner.  It will not cause issues elsewhere.  Glad it helped.

p.s. I work for Dell/AW but I'm not the official rep here on the forums :-)

3 Posts

April 9th, 2013 10:00

Thank you for your reply. I checked and my BIOS was already A12, so I located the PCIe GEN3 setting and set it to Disabled. This seems to have fixed the performance issues so thank you very much!

However... sorry to ask a noob question, but what does this setting do exactly? And will it cause issues elsewhere? Surely this setting must affect every X51 of the same spec?

Thank you for your help.

3 Posts

April 12th, 2013 07:00

Thank you so much for your reply and the additional information. My main concern was performance, but if it makes no difference, then that's great news. Thanks!

No Events found!