8 Krypton

RE: X51, Internal hard disk not found

Jump to solution

boot up my Alienware X51 ... until it came to this"Internal Hard disk not found press F1.... Etc".  

When x51-R1 was released (long before current x51-R2) many users reported this problem. I don't think Dell ever officially said what was causing it. I always felt it was something basic like maybe the "short custom" hard-drive cables were defective.

When you get this message, see if the hard-drive can be detected in BIOS. If not, I would first check cables (try re-seating them and make sure they are making good contact). You might even want to install standard after-market ones. Maybe get a local friend or PC tech to help you. Machine should also pass Hard-Drive ePSA test (outside of Windows).

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Instead of selecting F12 try selecting F8. This should allow you to choose the option for Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking. Safe Mode will load all of the necessary drivers needed for you computer to start. If Safe Mode will not load, you can try using your Windows 7 CD/DVD to repair any issues. You can place the disk into the CD/DVD drive, press F12 when the computer starts, and select the option for CD/DVD. You will be given a prompt to press any key and then the CD will load. Instead of selecting Install, select Repair and windows will search for and try to repair the issue. If windows is not able to find the "Windows" installation on Drive C: you will have to reinstall windows onto your computer.

If you have files that you don't want to lose, you can download and install Fedora onto a USB flash drive, insert the USB into your computer, start the computer and using F12, select the option for USB and Fedora will start. You will have an option to "Try" Fedora and this is the one you want to select. Once fedora is installed, let me know and we can proceed from there. The site to download Fedora is http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora.

Destiny Integration

Detroit, MI

0 Kudos
Darthstr1fe
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Chris.  I'm having a similar problem to this one with my Alienware r3 Andromeda.  It was working perfectly fine until I decided to reset it to wipe it clean.  I just wanted to purge it because I had recently backed everything onto an external hard drive.  Midway through the reset it gave me an error and said to restart.  When it restart it went straight to a black screen that says the hard disk is not detected and to reseat.  I opened it up and pulled out the hard drive and put it back in and the problem still persists.  I've been on forums all day and also tried to see if it would start at all with the hard drive unplugged and I couldn't even get to the Bios.  I got on the phone with Dell but my warranty is up.  Last thing I did was run the preboot system assessment and  everything workls fine.  I'm a student so I really need my pc for school and I'm also broke so it's really difficult for me to get another pc when I'm struggling to afford food.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Hi Chris.  I'm having a similar problem to this one with my Alienware r3 Andromeda.  It was working perfectly fine until I decided to reset it to wipe it clean.  I just wanted to purge it because I had recently backed everything onto an external hard drive.  Midway through the reset it gave me an error and said to restart.  When it restart it went straight to a black screen that says the hard disk is not detected and to reseat.  I opened it up and pulled out the hard drive and put it back in and the problem still persists.  I've been on forums all day and also tried to see if it would start at all with the hard drive unplugged and I couldn't even get to the Bios.  I got on the phone with Dell but my warranty is up.  Last thing I did was run the preboot system assessment and  everything workls fine.  I'm a student so I really need my pc for school and I'm also broke so it's really difficult for me to get another pc when I'm struggling to afford food.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

You are posting in an old thread.
What exact machine do you have? Is it a x51-R3 or Aurora-R3?
So, you reformatted the main hard-drive and you were clean-installing Windows? Were you using Dell Recovery or what?
Yes, check cables or drive might have died. Be sure PSA is actually checking HDD.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Darthstr1fe
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Its an x51 r3.  Whenever i would go to the properties section on the computer it would say Andromeda after the R3. I  wasn't using dell recovery.  I went to windows update and security for the "reset".  Halfway through is when it crashed.  I did the thorough epsa scan and it says everything is working fine.  Says the HDD is fine.  I unplugged the cables and they seem to working fine as well.  Everything was working perfectly fine before I did the reset and now nothing.  I really don't think its a hardware failure because it was working fine before. I did upgrade that pc to windows 10 from windows 8.  

0 Kudos
mr23m4n
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

did u check the RAID setting?

it might be set as RAID-disk accidentally, restart your Alienware and press F12 > Intel Rapid Storage Technology(Optional ROM) > check your Hard Drive's status

hope this helps.

0 Kudos
mr23m4n
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

try checking your RAID-disk setting.

restart your Alienware > press F12 > choose Intel Rapid Storage(Optional ROM) > remove your hard drive from the list if it was set as RAID-disk.

hope this helps~ cheers

Highlighted
mr23m4n
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

try checking your RAID-disk setting.

restart your Alienware > press F12 > choose Intel Rapid Storage(Optional ROM) > remove your hard drive from the list if it was set as RAID-disk.

hope this helps~ cheers~~