Highlighted
Nelinferno
1 Nickel

X51 R1 fans full speed while idle and BSOD while playing

Jump to solution

HI,

8 days ago I've done a package of 12 windows updates. Since it was taking some time I let the computer run it alone. After an hour or so I've started to hear the fans going full speed making a great deal of noise.

The screen was black and I had no other solution than turning off the computer (power button long pression).

The day after I could play normally on Watch Dogs a while. I've started to get some strange behaviour when trying to do a coop with a friend on Borderland Prequel. In fact after just 10 min or so of playing, my fans went full speed, screen froze, shows in a split second a message saying graphic card cannot be removed while in use (or something like that) and then jump to a BSOD an quickly restarts.

After that, even without doing anything, the fans go crazy after 20 min more or less of doing nothing. And it's impossible to run a game.

Here is my service tag : <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

What I've tried already :

- install latest GPU drivers (with clean install using DDU)

- coming back to a GPU driver that I know was doing fine (with clean install using DDU)

- install a restore point from before windows update

- checked with GPUz behaviour of system (using HEAVEN to press on GPU usage)

Results :

Didn't change anything

GPUz reveals that when fans start going loud it's like my GTX660 totally stop functioning.

-> While running HEAVEN I've got no issues... fans went crazy only 5min after running it.

soooo... I'm lost.

Is it my GTX660 that is just dead ?

Thx for any help !

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
beamermt79
4 Ruthenium

RE: X51 R1 fans full speed while idle and BSOD while playing

Jump to solution

Sounds like your graphics card might have gone bad.  Normally when the fans go nuts its because the temps are near threshold, but they can also do that if their is a heat sensor malfunction on the card, so if your card has popped it could have taken out the sensors with it.  

0 Kudos
Nelinferno
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thx for the hint ! I've just check but I'm pretty sure card didn't move at all. It does look like it just randomly stops being recognized by system. But your point on sensors does make a lot of sens. In fact if system needs to have continuous information from heat sensors of the card, then no communication (due to card not being recognized) is treated as potential big heat issue and system sends fan flying out :/

Any suggestion on how to validate this ?

0 Kudos
Mykill Metal
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

This happened to me a few times.  What I did was opened it up and moved the GPU power cable out of the way of the fan.  It was getting blocked, causing overheating.  Also, make sure you use the black clip thing, if it moves too far it might have the same effect.

0 Kudos
Nelinferno
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Yeap that's what I've done. GPU power cable was not exactly on the way of the fan but applying pressure on the whole card. Using the the black clip to keep it correctly placed solved that issue.

X51 is way too compact to let cables not perfectly placed it seems...

0 Kudos