Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 1st, 2017 16:00

X51 R2 Upgrades/Optical Drive Removal

Good Evening All,

Hope this finds you well. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if removing the optical drive and not replacing it (e.g. leaving the space empty) would make any impact on CPU temperature (or PC temperature in general)? My current specs are:

i5 4430

GTX 960

500GB SSD (currently located where the HDD was placed)

16GB 1333mhz Ram

but I have an i7 4790k and a GTX 1060 on the way. As I know the new CPU will run at hotter temperatures I have also ordered Arctic Silver 5 thermal place to apply to it when installing (having removed the old thermal paste). However, I also wondered whether I could reduce the tempertatures even further by simply removing the optical drive (which I never use)? I've also heard of people changing the intake mod, but I'm unsure if this would make much difference.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

With best wishes,

Dan

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 10:00

Hi ZeDan‌,

It may improve the airflow but the difference might not be that relevant, since there's gonna be more empty space but no extra air vents.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 12:00

Analyze where cool-air comes-in and where hot-air goes out.

Try to improve that air-flow ... with more fans if needed.

You might also have a temperature controllable fan in that case, so look in Alienware Command Center Thermal Controller. I use Manual (not Auto) and then a Curve on each fan in both of my Auroras.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Also, if you only have a simple fan-based cooler on your main processor, and that hot air doesn't immediately leave the case, it will greatly affect case temps. I think the x51-R3 had a low-profile sealed liquid-cooler option.

18 Posts

Thank you both for your response. I really appreciate it. Yes, I do have a stock fan-based cooler on the CPU. I wanted to upgrade it, but could find no information regarding possible upgrades. Unfortunately the R2 doesn't have a liquid cooling option. I'd also be interested in upgrading the intake fan. I've seen a lot of people speak highly of this one:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/40mm-noctua-nf-a4x10-flx-low-noise-fan 

However, I'm not sure if it is simply a lower profile fan or it can actually help to reduce temps in the machine.

No Events found!