Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2017 22:00

X51-R2, Windows 10, Help me (Mic low) (Thinking its the driver)

Look okay so ive just bought a new headset that IS compatible with pc and comes with a splitter for the pc. Plugged it in the front panel plugs (Mic and audio). The audio worked fine, the mic was not detected (I've used a mic on this pc before and worked fine).

I've then plugged the headset in the side panel. Worked. But when i test my voice is low. Please dont give the suggestion of "Find microphone and right click>properties>levels and increase microphone boost to +10 to +20 dB" OF course ive try this and still low.  

So i thought maybe its my driver. I search and update them. No change.First attempt was to update my realtek. But nope, said it was up to date. I went to see if i can download a new latest realtek file. But the website is down. 

My second attempt to fixing this (Keep note dont suggest this part ether, didnt help) was to go to "http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/alienware-x51-r2/" Updated the drivers there. No help. But did give me new bios and other network updates. 

My third attempt was to uninstall all the audio drivers and re install them. No change. Then i noticed the I dont have the Realtek HD audio manager. Instead i have this manager "Alienware Audio" I want to try to get the realtek hd audio manager back. But every suggestion i search trys to say "alienware audio is better for more support" IT's not and i want Realtek Hd Audio Manager back. 

Look, i just want to talk to people on my pc again. Im tired of these POINTLESS suggestions that dont help at all.

Here is what I have:

Alienware x51 R2, Windows 10, Realtek high definition audio (Driver version:6.0.1.7544) Reply what else you need.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 15th, 2017 14:00

What you call "pointless suggestions" is actually called "trouble-shooting the problem". Yeah, you are frustrated ... we get it ... but would YOU reply to a message written like this (or the old hostile version the moderators caught)? Do you think your attitude is helping matters?

It would help the know Headset make/model and if it's Analog (with 1/8" plugs) or Digital (with USB dongle).

The old (Win-7 version) Control Panel/ Sound is still there. That is where you adjust Mic Levels & Channel Muting. There might also be an enhanced audio-like icon in Control Panel or TaskTray that works in-concert with it.

Finally, I suggest you test headset on another computer. It might just be a bad mic.

6 Posts

January 15th, 2017 19:00

Look at my point of view on this. Spend 7+ hours trying out all these suggestions that are ether the same or too simple.  You're going to ether get tired or frustrated. Not only because you.. yourself cant fix it but other people.. just give these trouble-shooting solutions. If you ask me, Trouble shooting is the most useless solutions to give. The advice troubleshoot gives ether simple to do on your own or scans literally nothing.

The point of a fourm is to support/discuss/solve. Of course, if i seen a thread that is similar to this, ive solve it. Because i know they are stuck on this problem, I HAD. In your sense, you would refuse to help a user, a alienware supporter, a person who has wasted time looking a solution, because of the language/attitude they are giving.

As for the mic problem, the mic is not broken. For it runs on other devices. Its a Beexcellent. i believe my problem is my computer itself. Not the software but the hardware.

1.2K Posts

January 15th, 2017 20:00

It would help the know Headset make/model and if it's Analog (with 1/8" plugs) or Digital (with USB dongle).

actually instead of getting pissy about it read the   question .. he did ask a question..  kinda vital info required to help  since we can only guess what you  mean  by adaptor .. and  which headset you got

we are in no   way refusing as you say to help.. your refusing to answer a question we need to know before we guess at what you got. I   run a X51 R3 .. and   run a G430 headset  which works better with the 1/8 plugs over the  USB dongle it comes with..

but if  you rather ramble on.. I'm fine with that.. but if   you want slightest bit   of   help..  headset  info   would   be great.. aka a link to  the one  you got since Beexcellent   is got many..  ..

6 Posts

January 16th, 2017 11:00

Im using a www.amazon.com/.../ref=dp_return_2. It's not the headset, I get the same results using Xbox One Stereo Headset. Results as in Front panel jacks dont respond, using side/back panel jacks gives me a low mic pick up.

6 Posts

January 16th, 2017 12:00

Works on an android phone, and a chromebook 11 laptop.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 16th, 2017 12:00

So, an analog headset ... built for a phone or tablet (single-jacked with 4-bands) with a splitter to convert over to Analog-PC-Audio "dual-jack" standard.

Please verify you tested it on a phone/tablet as well as other computer (using supplied splitter).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 16th, 2017 13:00

Works on an android phone, and a chromebook 11 laptop.

Ok, good.
But read carefully ... also test on a different desktop computer or older laptop with dual-jack analog audio so that the supplied splitter must be fully connected and used. That is the only way to fully test the splitter.

6 Posts

January 16th, 2017 14:00

Works completely fine. No mic drop, or problems. I've used the splitter and without it on an other computer.

1.2K Posts

January 16th, 2017 15:00

well sure leads to hardware issue...  but from the searching and  finds from people with similar issue on the R1 and R2  its tends to lean towards the motherboard as you suspected before, a few cases it  was actually the front panel I/O board , but most cases people either got a USB to 3.5mm  (dongle)sound card.. like 10 bucks on amazon..  or a USb headset rather then spend the money, those that were repaired were under warranty and board fixed the issue, some tried drivers directly from realtek with success  other backdated to  original OS and success .. the ones that had no success got USB  headset .. to bypass the soundcard ..

unfortunately my R3 is a lot different ,  I don't even have mic plugin on the rear....   but hey I just learnt some difference between the models..

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 16th, 2017 17:00

Works completely fine. No mic drop, or problems. I've used the splitter and without it on an other computer.

Ok, since the Headset and required splitter-cable test good, we move forward.

Disconnect the plug where the front audio ports connect to the motherboard. One might be damaged or shorted and holding-down the rear-ports. Keep it disconnected until we finish please.

Use the rear ports. They are likely green and pink, but double-check you are using the 2 proper ones back there (in your manual). They go directly to "sound-card" circuit on motherboard. Keep using the rear-ports until we finish please.

Report back.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

And see if a usb headset would work,

Yes, it will work. A headset like that only needs a working USB-Port. It uses it's own tiny "sound-card" in it's own USB-cable.

6 Posts

Im going to be returning my headset back. And see if a usb headset would work, since it wont be connected to the soundcard.

No Events found!