Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 3rd, 2014 08:00

X51 R2 - Windows 8.1 upgrade

I got a brand new R2 (I7 / 8GB RAM / GTX760 1.5Gb / 1 TB) model this Christmas and before I go ahead installing too much stuff on it I wanted to get up to Windows 8.1.

On first boot, and after only installing mandatory Windows Updates, Windows 8.1 didn't appear in the store.

I then applied all of the optional updates, and Windows 8.1 appeared in the store - so I clicked to install it, and I told me I needed to be logged on with an Administrator account to complete the upgrade - and I was at the time logged on with an Administrator account, so I couldn't go any further.  I didn't get chance to explore this further.

Now, a few days later when I have time to think about it some more, I went into the store and Windows 8.1 is no longer there for me to update!!

Can anyone advise on the specific steps which I need to go through with an X51 R2 to get it onto Windows 8.1 to avoid both the "administrator" problem and the "windows 8.1 not appearing in the store" problems.

Thanks!

Matt

January 6th, 2014 05:00

Hi - thanks for the help, but unfortunately that didn't solve the problem!  That took me to the right links, but then when I was bounced to the store the update wasn't there (still!).

In the end I did manage to get it to show and install successfully - I uninstalled windows update 2871389 which is supposed to prepare the computer for Windows 8.1 (it was already installed, but obviously wasn't doing its job!)

I then rebooted, checked the store again (no 8.1 update) and then went to  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2871389 where I re-downloaded the update and applied it manually. 

After the next compulsory reboot, 8.1 was showing in the store and I could download / install it without trouble.

One thing to note was that once 8.1 was installed none of the more recent games in Steam would work (showed a D3D error).  To solve this, I checked out the dell support site for essential driver updates which said that I needed to update the Nvidia drivers for the GTX760 card - I did this and the games started working fine again.

All sorted in the end!!

Matt

• 

2.7K Posts

January 3rd, 2014 13:00

Hello Matt!

And have you tried to run the windows updates again to check if the window 8.1 appears again? If you haven’t, try to do it one more time.

9 Posts

January 4th, 2014 01:00

Go to microsft.com and go to there download link. Once you start browsing (scrolling down there list of stuff to download) it will pop up a little thing about 8.1  and it will allow you to download it.  Click on it and it will shoot you to the Microsoft store.  there you can download it.  Hope this was helpful

4 Posts

January 8th, 2014 04:00

Hello, I'm an Alienware x51 r2 user. I did the upgrade successfully but after I did, the wireless network is gone. I've been looking for drivers for a week now. Please Help

9 Posts

January 8th, 2014 10:00

Dell should have the drivers you need. Go to their download section. Also you can use their auto detect feature so that you dont have to go searching. It will detect drivers that need to be updated. 

4 Posts

January 8th, 2014 11:00

Thanks for your quick answer, the drivers are not yet there. The latest network drivers are from 05/12/2013.

Is there a proper channel to inform or to ask for the updates?

Thanks again,

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 8th, 2014 13:00

Hello, I'm an Alienware x51 r2 user. I did the upgrade successfully but after I did, the wireless network is gone. I've been looking for drivers for a week now. Please Help

It must still show in Control Panel Devices as in Error or Missing Driver.

There are a bunch of Win-8 Network drivers here. It would help if you remember what exact model it was or look on Invoice:

4 Posts

January 8th, 2014 14:00

Thanks for your trouble and link. I'm able to find the network card model model ok. It is a Broadcom 802.11a. The available drivers that I could find are dated last at may 2013. I´ve tried them all with no luck.

What I could not yet find is the new win 8.1 drivers. I regret so much I've agreed the update. I guess I should have read about it a bit more before going any further. My only way out now is to wait or to wipe out to factory default.

Sorry for any weird grammar mistakes, I'm no native to English

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

January 8th, 2014 15:00

Thanks for your trouble and link. I'm able to find the network card model model ok. It is a Broadcom 802.11a. The available drivers that I could find are dated last at may 2013. I´ve tried them all with no luck.

What I could not yet find is the new win 8.1 drivers. I regret so much I've agreed the update. I guess I should have read about it a bit more before going any further. My only way out now is to wait or to wipe out to factory default.

Sorry for any weird grammar mistakes, I'm no native to English

No problem, your English is fine.

It's likely one of the Network drivers described as only "Dell". Also, Win-8.0 (and "sometimes" even Win7-64 as a last resort) drivers will work on Win 8.1.

There are several ways to proceed, but the EASIEST way would be for you to connect machine to router with real ethernet wire. Get on the Internet that way. Update this Broadcom WiFi driver from Windows Update online driver database. Then, you can disconnect wire and use the WiFi.

763 Posts

January 9th, 2014 01:00

What Tesla suggested should work. If not, grab your hardware ID and hit Google and you can probably find some generic Windows 8.1 drivers that will work.

Alternatively, reboot with Driver Signature Enforcement (DSE) disabled and try installing the Windows 7 driver. I am running as many Windows 7 drivers with Windows 8.1 than I am drivers designed for Windows 8.1 and find the Windows 7 drivers generally work as good or better than the drivers designed for Windows 8. If you are running Secure Boot for some odd reason, you may need to switch to Legacy Option ROM to use the Windows 7 drivers.

No Events found!