w0tdh
1 Copper

X51 R2 i7 4770 3.9 Lightning strike near home. Unit does not power up.

Unit does not power up. External supply works. Power board at fault?

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: X51 R2 i7 4770 3.9 Lightning strike near home. Unit does not power up.

Hi W0TDH,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Any diagnostic indicators that are coming on the system, when it is powered on?

Do you hear any beeps sounds?

Kindest Regards,
DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media and Community Professional
#IWork4Dell

DELL-Akshatha M
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell
Dell Support Videos 
Drivers and Downloads

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

w0tdh

Usually a lighting strike can damage, in this order, power supply, modem/NIC, motherboard, memory and maybe the processor.

When this happened to me, had to replace both the power supply and motherboard, it also fried the router. I was not a happy camper. 

To try to stop this happening again, I installed APC/UPS's to all the computers and a wireless network.

No more, so-called surge protectors.

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
westom
1 Nickel

No more, so-called surge protectors.

An adjacent protector must somehow block or absorb a surge.  Read its specification numbers.  How many joules does it claim to absorb?  Hundreds?  A thousand?  Destructive surges are hundreds of thousands of joules.  Protection was near zero.  But just enough above zero that most will naively recommend it for protection.

Read numbers on a UPS.  Even tinier.  But again, only hearsay recommends a UPS for protection.

A  completely different device - unfortunately called a surge protector - has been the proven solution for over 100 years.  That means hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate outside the building.  Then everything is protected (including those near zero power strip and UPS protectors).  This proven solution also costs about $1 per protected appliance - tens of times less money.

Any recommendation that ignores numbers is best called junk science.   A protector is only as effective as its earth ground.  That means a well proven 'whole house' protector connects low impedance (ie less than 10 feet) to  single point earth ground.  No protector does protection (successfully block or absorb destructively surges).  Protectors either connect hundreds of thousands of joules low impedance (hardwire without any sharp bends) to earth.  Or protector does nothing useful.

For over 100 years, protection was always about connecting hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly to earth. Adjacent protectors (or UPS) are only for tiny surges made irrelevant by protection already inside every appliance.

Direct lightning strikes should cause no damage - even to the 'whole house' protector.  As it standard in all facilities that must not have damage.  Well understood and demonstrated for over 100 years.  And not provided by any 'magic' and many times more expensive plug-in solution.