rarewolf
2 Iron

X51 as media computer(?)

My current media PC is getting old, and I need USB3 support.  OTOH, my present computer's mobo HDMI works great with my Yamaha AVR for PCM and bitstreaming both audio+video, and I want another that works as well.

On paper, the X51 appears to suit my needs ... but I do see many problems with HDMI, and it's difficult to believe when the Dell implies the remedy is as quick&easy as a BIOS modification.  And, I don't see any users here using the X51 for Music, DVD & Blue-ray ...

My 1st question:  Will Dell guarantee & support bitstreaming audio+video out the HDMI port??

My 2nd question:  If in doubt, what would be a good Dell alternative to the X51 for bitstreaming media audio+video via HDMI??

TIA & cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula  🙂

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Alienware-Frank
3 Argentium

Re: X51 as media computer(?)

Hi Rarewolf, why would you like to stream video out of the HDMI port?

The HDMI is native for the motherboard, the GPU has a DVI and DisplayPort. You will get a lot more quality from the Video Card. For audio you get digital output on the motherboard.

1) The onBoard HDMI port can send audio and video

2) The GPU and the integrated 7.1 optical audio output

Cheers 🙂

Alienware Lizano
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
mav711
3 Zinc

incorrect on the GPU Frank it is mini-hdmi not displayport...  gt545 and GTX555 are mini-HDMI

0 Kudos
bills889
3 Argentium

Only thing i doubt is surround sound support. Someone a while ago had a tonne of problems getting his blurays to play 5.1 dolby surround sound. He ended up getting an external usb soundcard to get it t work. Search the forun to find the thread... it was a long one.

My Alienware x51 -  Core i7 2600, EVGA GTX 660Ti, 8GB RAM, Crucial m4 256GB SSD (replaces HDD for better cooling)

0 Kudos
Alienware-Frank
3 Argentium

@Mav711
Thank you, yes, you are right.

@Bills
Myself I have never tested that on the x51. The system is capable, but, I'm uncertain the process will take extra steps to configure.

Alienware Lizano
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
ynkolo
1 Copper

Yes, I use X51 primary for media PC and video conversion. I installed itune as media streaming and vmware for multiple OS cloud computing.  The surround sound via optical output is working well with audio receiver as well the hdmi/dvi video/audio output with TV.

0 Kudos
Alienware-Frank
3 Argentium

Awesome, thank you ynkolo! So, no problems with Audio Set up 🙂

Alienware Lizano

0 Kudos
fivefivesix
1 Copper

The X51 with the 545 video card supports audio+video on the DVI port when used with a compatible DVI-HDMI cable. Can't speak for the version with the 555 card as i don't own that one.

0 Kudos
rarewolf
2 Iron

Frank asks ...

Hi Rarewolf, why would you like to stream video out of the HDMI port?

The HDMI is native for the motherboard, the GPU has a DVI and DisplayPort. You will get a lot more quality from the Video Card. For audio you get digital output on the motherboard.

1) The onBoard HDMI port can send audio and video

2) The GPU and the integrated 7.1 optical audio output

Sorry for the late response ... I should learn how to be notified of topic activity ...

I believe this may all be changed now that the X51 employs an NVidia GT-650 ... leastwise, as far as I could tell from images the display card provided the only HDMI output.  HDMI video connected to my AVR should not be a problem, however for the optimum audio, I also need the HDMI to bitstream the audio.  This was a headache for my current HTPC, but I was finally able to get it to work.  I don't believe I'd be happy with S/PDIF audio because, as far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), S/PDIF (coax or optical) cannot bitstream several of the newer Bluray HD audio sources(?)

Thanks for your excellent support!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
rarewolf
2 Iron

My wishlist disappeared, and now I see that the display card has been changed to the GT-660.  Same questions are still pertinent however ...

Thanks again  🙂

0 Kudos