Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 20th, 2013 22:00

alienware m14x-clicking/popping sound on startup

I just got my m14x r2 laptop a few days ago. I can remember this problem from the second boot (if it happened on the first one, I guess i didn't notice). There will be a click every 5-6 seconds as it's turning on, around up until it gets to the user account log-in screen. It will also do this if it's coming back from sleep mode, but not as frequently.

I just want to know if this is something normal for alienware as it only happens when it's basically powering on, so far as I know anyway.

Thanks 

January 22nd, 2013 10:00

Hello a42,

Try to boot the system from the windows disk that came with the system.

Follow these steps.

a) Insert the windows disk when the computer is on (Do not run the disk into windows, this will reformat the HDD)

b) Restart your system, at the Alien head logo press the F12 key several times.

c) When the Boot Menu appears, highlight the CD/DVD drive (listed as "CDROM", "CD/DVD" or "CD/DVD/CD-RW") entry from the list and press .

d) If the message Press any key to boot from the CD or DVD ... appears, press a key to continue booting to the DVD.  

e) A black screen should pop out with a message, Windows is loading files with a white or grey bar at bottom of the screen, in this part listen to your system to check if there is any clicking noise, if nothing happens, we can consider that the clicking noise is coming from the hard drive.

d) Cancel the process by pressing and holding the power button after the bar on the bottom of the screen finish loading (If you continue the process, again, this will reformat the HDD)

Please let me know the status after thes steps.

9 Posts

January 22nd, 2013 12:00

I followed all the steps and did not hear anything during the loading bar. It could be the hard drive, but it does seem to sound like it's coming from the speaker bar though. But I'm no laptop expert obviously...

January 23rd, 2013 12:00

If you think is coming from the speaker, try plugging external headphones to your laptop then turn on the system and let me know if you listen the clicking noise through them.

9 Posts

January 23rd, 2013 15:00

I plugged in some headphones and i can hear the sound through them at the same time. It will click through the speaker bar above the keyboard and in less than a split-second it will come through the headphones.

January 24th, 2013 14:00

Try uninstalling the audio driver (Sound Blaster Recon3Di) from the programs and features and test your system.

To reinstall the driver, here is the link to download it.

9 Posts

January 24th, 2013 15:00

Ok so, after unistalling the driver, the problem was pretty much gone. It was completely quiet on startup. But now that I've reinstalled it, the problem is back. Does it need an update or something?

January 30th, 2013 15:00

Please send me a PM with your service tag, phone number and the link to this thread, I'll get back to you.

29 Posts

January 30th, 2013 16:00

I have exactly the same problem, just received my alienware m14x r2 yesterday. When I start up, it has the cracking windows welcome tone.

January 31st, 2013 12:00

Hello michaelbyz23,

I did some research about this specif issue, people mentioned that updating the video and the audio driver might help. I think it would be a good idea and this would not harm the system or affect anything else.

Correct video driver install/uninstall procedure

9 Posts

January 31st, 2013 15:00

Ok I've sent it. I've downgraded the soundblaster driver which is a temporary fix...

2 Posts

March 14th, 2013 20:00

Karen, sorry to jump in, but I have a similar problem. There is a clicking/popping sound that starts with windows, and sometimes goes away. I just performed the tests above, and did not hear in the HDD test, and the noise does not go to the earphones, so I believe is an HDD problem. I received this new M14X R2 today, and has this issue since the first start up.

What should I do?

9 Posts

March 14th, 2013 22:00

try rolling back the driver of your sound card (soundblaster) in device manager. It should say high definition audio device afterward. If you don't hear the sound anymore, than just leave it. If nothing changes, than you can probably rule out the sound card for now at least.

2 Posts

March 14th, 2013 23:00

Yes, I had this idea, but as soon as my W7 started up, the basic W7 driver kicked in and the noise was also there.

I'm almost sure it's a HDD problem. I talked to the Dell Support Twitter account, and they sent some test to be done.

If I manage to fix it, I'll post it here.

No Events found!