Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 12th, 2016 00:00

area 51 R2 GPU

Hey guys I've got an Area 51 R2 being made right now (pretty stoked about that) and have a question on who makes the gpu.

I went with the GTX 960 because I'm going to upgrade it later, but I want to look into running two gtx 960s right now.

Which 960 would be SLI compatible with the stock one coming in the area 51?

I've always just ran one GPU (I've got an Aurora R2) so running SLI is new to me and I want to make sure I get the right hardware.

Thank you in advance.

124 Posts

April 13th, 2016 07:00

Also, clock value and etc, driver will throttle whatever card to match the values of the weakest card (99.9% sure it will be the dell OEM card, its just a reference card) so just buy the best 960 on the market (EVGA probably) and use that as the main card and the sli card (Dell OEM card) as the second card. Not all games allow SLI configuration so you want to get the best card as the primary card so it will run smoothly with your setup if the game does not support SLI.   

Sound good?

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 12th, 2016 10:00

Hi,

Click here to view the Dell support site. Enter your Service Tag on the little box that asks for it and click submit. After this, click on the System configuration option on the top to view a detailed list of your system components. 

4 Posts

April 12th, 2016 15:00

Thank you for the reply,

If I had the computer I'd of checked the GPU and have found out by now. But as the computer is currently being built by Dell I am unable to check the hardware out.

All I know is that the GPU is the Nvidia GeForce GTX 960 2g model. My question is who makes the card? As in EVGA, ASUS, MSI, etc etc.

I'd also like to know if the second card has to be the same clock speed, same amount of memory etc etc.

I do not know much about SLI configurations, so I'd figure I'd ask the community about them.

Thank you in advance.

4 Posts

April 12th, 2016 23:00

Anyone?

124 Posts

April 13th, 2016 07:00

you're over thinking this, just buy a 960 and a sli bridge and call it a day (pick a brand, doesn't matter). TBH a 960 in this machine is weak. go get some 980's or titans  

4 Posts

April 13th, 2016 08:00

There we go, some information. Thank you. Sounds good to go, I agree that the 960 is weak for this machine, in the near future I am upgrading the GPU for sure. But for now I have an extra 960 laying around from a previous build and plan to pop It in. Thanks for the info.

124 Posts

April 13th, 2016 08:00

if you end up upgrading the 960 to 980/ti/titan X just sell them 960's , don't be tempted to use the as a physx card. They will just create a bottleneck for those powerful cards. Might be okay if you get a 970

No Events found!