john-kimball44
3 Silver

Re: area 51 r2 fans loud at start up

will try recreating a new command center profile

0 Kudos

power drain is a good idea. i see AAA737flyer totaly got this here. so have fun guys.

Area 51-R2, BIOS A10, i7-5820K @ 4.0 GHz, Crucial Tactical 64 GB @ 2666 MHz, Titan X(P),

Samsung 960 Pro M2 SSD, Crucial MX300 SSD, 1500W Dell PSU, Win10 Home, Yoda USB Guard Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Highlighted
AAA737flyer
4 Germanium

This link will help you setup CC.

Alienware Command Center Quick Guide | Dell US 

The power strip/surge protector you listed will not protect your system. The first and only review sums up the usefulness of that particular product.

What you have will after one power surge degrade rapidly if not fail all together. You will never know this as there is no indication provided. You will think that the tripping of the "CB" has saved the day, and may have, but the component inside has been destroyed or severely damaged in the process of protecting your system. Even after a few years with no adverse power interruptions the product deteriates and needs to be replaced. The cheaper versions, similar to what you have, have been known to catch fire. Once the protective component is damaged it can no longer absorb the surge and heats up to the point of ignition. Newer and more expensive products have resolved the fire hazard by encapsulating the surge component but I don't see this tech listed in it's specs.

You need to research how to better protect your investment. I know it is an added expense but well worth the cost considering how much you have already invested. Don't save 200 and lose several thousand.

Your issue has been going on since at least last December. Not sure how long you have until your warranty is up but your next best bet is to contact support.

john-kimball44
3 Silver

we have tried putting the belkin power strip plug in the other socket and seems to have worked. but we only tried it with two shut down tries. we also used another power strip extension with the computer plug in the strip by itself with no other plugs and worked five times in a row. think power strip is the culprit but need more tries to confirm. it did the same thing when we replaced the psu with a evga one. which surge protector is best to buy within $100-$200 ?

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

john-kimball44 wrote:

. which surge protector is best to buy within $100-$200 ?

For Area51-R2 with 1500w Power Supply ... I would recommend this UPS. I have two of them (one for each system). It will also handle your monitor, etc. Everything in your whole system should be connected to it.

APC Back-UPS Pro 1500VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector (BR1500G)                              

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos