Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 19th, 2012 03:00

bios - alienware m17x r4 update?

Just a couple questions.

I saw that there was an update to my bios on the site here so I downloaded it and installed (doubleclick the icon). It ran through it's paces rather quickly and when it was done I noticed (by going to msinfo32) that the date had not changed. It originally was 6/29/12 and the update has a date of 10/12/12. Did it install or not? If not, what did I do wrong?

A second question I have is when I first got the computer I played around with the command center and changed the colors of the keyboard, touchpad etc. After that I reformatted and reinstalled windows but the colors stayed as I had done them. How and where is that information stored? When I reformatted and reinstalled shouldn't that have changed? I ask because now I'm not sure it was a complete reformat.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me, especially about the bios issue. Thanks.

December 19th, 2012 08:00

Hello  Mina919

1. Check if the BIOS version change to the latest one (A09), the date shouldn't affect anything.

2. Sounds to me the partitions of your HDD were not deleted properly and that's why the system remembers the color of the lights, the information may be stored on C:\windows.old - users.

If you already backup your data I recommend that you perform the steps from this link to do a clean installation of windows.

8 Posts

December 19th, 2012 15:00

The version on the bios was already A09, that's why I was going by the date. So why doesn't the date change?

As for the second question...I assumed from past personal experience that reformatting before reinstalling wipes everything for a fresh start. That's what I did...reformat before reinstalling.

December 20th, 2012 12:00

When you re-flash the BIOS what the system does is to recognize the version and as is the same one it will keep the original date.

If you have the C:\windows.old folder on your system, it means that the old partitions were not deleted, if you don't have the folder and the system is still experiencing issues with the lights, uninstall and reinstall the command center, follow the steps from here.

8 Posts

December 20th, 2012 14:00

I'm only concerned because according to the dates I don't have the latest bios.

And I don't have the C:\windows.old folder because I deleted and reformatted before reinstalling Windows. And I have yet to install the command center since doing the reinstall so I guess I'm stuck there.

December 20th, 2012 15:00

Mina919

If your system say that BIOS version is 09 is the latest one, you don't need to worry about the date.

Let me know when you finish the installation for the command center.

8 Posts

December 20th, 2012 18:00

Karen,

There is a possibility that the bios on my computer is infected (by someone who had physical access to the system) and that's why I was so concerned about the date issue and the fact that reformatting and reinstalling the OS didn't seem to do a clean install no matter how many times I did it.

I thank you for your time and for your patience with my cranky self, but I've been in contact with Dell and will be returning the computer.

December 26th, 2012 14:00

I'm sorry to hear that, it's a shame you had to return the system.

No Events found!