dcgamboa
1 Nickel

computer reboots randomly

I bought this alienware X51 r2 4 weeks ago, and it has only gave me nothing but troubles. Every single day for no reason at all, whether it is just sitting idle, if I'm watching a video, rendering.. It will just randomly restart. At first the screen goes black and at the same time it sounds like the fan goes crazy.  No matter if I have just started up the computer after giving it 7 hours rest. It happens just when I turned on.   Is there any way I can stop these random reboots?

I did a research before call back again dell support.  I dont use this pc for gaming, i use it for work...3d renderings. Normally reboots happen when rendering, which is processor intensive. But lately, even when web browsing it reboots. I read already all the articles related in the knowledge database, forums whit no real, specific solution. I am not supposed to do the research for dell support, i want dell to give me a real solution.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dcgamboa
1 Nickel

RE: computer reboots randomly

UPDATE: I had to turn both processor and GPU power consumption to 90%..and so far so good...but this is ridiculous!! I am supposed to have a fully functional PC from Dell, not one that I have to tweak at its 90% of power in order to function...again, I am doing the research for you guys....

0 Kudos
dcgamboa
1 Nickel

RE: computer reboots randomly

Another UPDATE (and still no answer from Dell): I had to install Speedfan, I`ve noticed that the motherboard and CPUs rise temperature very quickly, so, with the proper tweeks I manage to control the fan speeds to keep things cool. So far, so good. I reset the power consumption to 100% both for GPU and processor and set Speedfan to work. Even when rendering, the computer keeps stable. Motherboard reaches 86-90 peaks but still no crashes. 

My conclusions on this are, that fans are not properly managed by native system, maybe a BIOS error, but I have the latest A07 Bios version. So, apparently having the latest version`s not enough. 

Since I have to install extra 3rd party software to control the situation, that`s something dell needs to fix. This is a very common problem as a simple google search can show. 

Again, Im doing my own research since Still don`t have any answer from Dell Support Team.