Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 6th, 2015 18:00

graphics card upgrade

Hi everyone I’m in need of some help and advice. I’m looking into upgrading my graphics card I’ve got a late 2009  Aurora R1 desk top with a NVidia GTX 580 fitted and I’m thinking of fitting a GTX 970 but I’m not sure if I can or what to look out for to make sure if it would fit and work ok . Also which model to go for? I’m sure you`ll ask me more about my R1 and if you tell me what you need to know and where I’d find the information I’d be more than happy to get it to you

Many thanks

97 Posts

May 9th, 2015 02:00

what's the difference between ddr5 and gddr5 in the graphics cards

it won't really matter what the RAM type is on a graphics card, what matters is the the card is compatible with your mother board and system/casing.

Also there is no such thing as "DDR5" in graphics cards, whoever said that either made a typo or were careless. There is only GDDR5, that is the current standard.

If you are considering a graphics card with DDR3, do not do it, it is not designed to perform well.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

May 7th, 2015 09:00

We do not support the Nvidia GTX 970 video card upgrade with the Alienware Aurora R1 desktop system. Therefore, we cannot confirm if the card with fully function with the system. The NVidia GTX 580 is the highest video card upgrade that we support for this system. Some of our customers have had success with the GTX 970 upgrade. For more information on this, click here to view another forum about this topic.

50 Posts

May 7th, 2015 18:00

Hi and thanks for the link my Aurora sounds about the same as the guys on that link and if it is then the psu has more than enough  power so next is the dimensions will it fit ? anything else i should look out for ? power plugs ? mine is 6 and 8 and has GDDR5. i`m looking for ones that have these in its specs. i`m a bit unsure what to look for and which model and brand is best. worried i`d get the wrong one and be stuck with it

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

May 8th, 2015 10:00

According to some of the customers who tried this configuration, it does fit and the power supply should be able to handle it. Unfortunately, this is something we cannot confirm since we do not support that type of configuration. 

50 Posts

May 8th, 2015 16:00

Hi and thanks for your help it came in very handy i`v been doing a lot of checking in forums about which brand and model people going for and i`v narrowed it down to a  EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 or maybe a MSI or a Gainward.

and again many thanks for your help 

50 Posts

May 9th, 2015 00:00

sorry to be a pain just one last thing what's the difference between ddr5 and gddr5 in the graphics cards is one better than the other and would either of them work in my  Aurora R1 or only one type and which one 

50 Posts

May 9th, 2015 03:00

Thanks for the advice I never thought it would be so hard to pick a graphics card! Still not sure which one I’ll get I’ve spent hours on the internet looking and still don’t know best brand and model. Any ideas? 

No Events found!