Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

M

9 Posts

January 4th, 2018 09:00

intel CPU critical issue

Hello,

I am an owner of Alienware 15r2 laptop with processor intel i7-6700HQ. I am concerned about the recent news with intel CPU's critical issue which fix could impact the performance of the CPU.

Is there any information which CPU's will be affected and how it could affect Alienware laptops?

I mean, the Alienware laptops are not one of the cheap ones and in worst case if the CPU will decrease by 30% as the news say the laptop will not be very usefull.

Thank you for your time and help

Mike 

14 Posts

January 4th, 2018 10:00

I ran the Intel SA-00086 Detection Tool and (it) is reporting that my Alienware 17 R3 is vulnerable.

What action is necessary to correct this ????

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 4th, 2018 10:00

Hi Mike9x‌,

Dell is aware of new security research describing software analysis methods related to Intel microprocessors. We are working with Intel and others in the industry to investigate and address the issue. For more information: Intel Responds to Security Research Findings 

Also, Dell will be posting further information on its support site soon, with a list of affected platforms and remediation

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 4th, 2018 13:00

Update the BIOS, chipset, IMEI & IRST drivers. That eliminates the vulnerability. The tool will still say that the system is affected, but you'll be protected with those software's. 

1 Message

January 5th, 2018 03:00

BIOS update --> Alienware_15R3_17R4_SKL1.2.1_KBL1.2.1.EXE 

ERROR: secure flash check fail.

So what now?

2 Posts

January 5th, 2018 05:00

Microsoft have a PowerShell script you can run to check for vulnerability on both the Meltdown and Spectre bugs.

You can see the info on it here https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073119/protect-against-speculative-execution-side-channel-vulnerabilities-in

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 5th, 2018 10:00

Hi ‌,

System model and revision? 

System specs?

No Events found!