Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2010 14:00

m11x random freeze

Just got an Alienware m11x yesterday, and since it got here, it's been randomly freezing, responds to nothing, have to hold power button down to restart. Doesn't matter what i do, i can be doing nothing even, and it just locks up. I haven't opened it up to reseat the ram yet, thought i'd see if it could be something else. Tried google, and it seems to be happening to a lot of people, but no solutions posted. 

Any help would be great, thanks. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 30th, 2010 18:00

Did you change any of the default settings in the Bios prior to the freezing?

3 Posts

December 30th, 2010 19:00

Nothing changed, just opened the box, turned it on, and about a minute later a freeze. Since then, randomly freezing, and only installed three programs (WoW, DDO, and Steam). Hasn't crashed while playing the games, but just while opening windows on desktop or downloading things. 

Stock i5, no overclocking or bios changes.

4 Posts

April 22nd, 2011 13:00

I solved this

i was having the same freezing issue with my m11x r2. i am not shocked to hear that dell is replacing mobos but im sure that isnt solving the issues. at the time of the original post this wouldnt of been possible.

after installing OEM windows 7 x64 and all the dell drivers i started to expereince freezing issues. i loaded the intel hd graphics drivers and the latest nvidia drivers i also installed the chipset drivers and ran all the windows updates. loaded up steam and i install gta4 H.A.W.X and minecraft. i started to expereince random application freezing even while surfing in firefox.

so i downloaded the latest bios A04 and the intel storage drivers. and continued playing games. so far ive had no random freezes

clearly these machines werent made for newbs as they dont come with built in optical drives. anyone who bought one without google-ing for known issues can only blame themselves

dell is allready well known for having drivers that are released months after the original hardware goes retail

also when i went to flash the bios i got an error about the software wasnt compatable with 64 bit i just navigated to the extracted files and ran the bios flasher and it flashed to A04 another shocker which demostrates dell's ability to create solid tested updates that are user friendly.

if i expereincing anymore random freezes il repost with an update

Mr. wicked awesome

repost of

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/p/19362217/19861917.aspx#19861917

April 22nd, 2011 16:00

I also have an m11x r1 and the alienware freezes, so a bios update from intel would help? i got a su7300. Do you know if this is going to end this lockup problem?

4 Posts

April 22nd, 2011 20:00

the bios update is from dell not intel and also install the intel storage drivers

i dont work for dell. i home made a solution to my own problem and posted because dell does make a high quaility product and they dont deserve to be slandered on forums if you arent able to figure it out call tech support and they can walk you through it.

4 Posts

April 24th, 2011 10:00

first of all dell edited my post to remove the slander against them and im sure they made aleinware in the early 80's

you should blame dell its there problem and clearly they dont have a fix for it.

are you sure you installed the intel storage driver? also i failed to mention i ran msconfig and disable all startup programs & non microsoft services.

after i flashed i went into the bios and turned off everything i dont use like the wwan firewire ect

after you install the intel hd graphics driver and the chipset download the latest nvidia drivers 335m 170 i believe

13 Posts

April 24th, 2011 11:00

Hey there,

I was having the same issue with my m17xr2, what i did was:

1. Disable bluetooth device, go into the device manager and disable the bluetooth device.

(If disabling bluetooth does not fix it then try this)

2. Update to latest graphic drivers.

(Not DELL drivers, Nvidia's drivers work better since the 260.x released, I'm running 270.51 at the moment for weeks and have not had a single random freeze or crash)

No Events found!