Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2012 08:00

m11x wont boot from USB/USB CDROM?

Hi,

I got a new alienware 11x and I took out the standard platter drive and put in my own SSD.  I went to install win7 again but it wont book from USB or a USB DVD-drive.

When I put the stick in I get an USB option on boot but it doesn't actually seem to even try I just get the same error over and over "no bootable dvice, press a button".

If I use the DVDRIVE I dont get a USB boot option at all and the same error.

Since the 11x doesn't have an inbuilt DVD drive the only way I can see to rebuilt it is via USB but it wont boot.  The stick is fine as it bookts on my other PC from bios.  Any ideas?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 5th, 2012 13:00

Did you try both the F12 Boot menu and the F2- Boot- USB Storage or Removable Devices? In the F2 Boot, you must enable the device with Shift+1.

11 Posts

May 5th, 2012 17:00

Yep, USB storage appears as the first in the list under boot.  I save and exit and then hit f12.  USB storage is first in the list. I highlight and press return and nothing happens - it goes directly to the "no HD found" error.

35 Posts

May 6th, 2012 03:00

you know what? if you have a m11x r3, use the left usb2 connector, not the right usb3.

probleme solved.

11 Posts

May 6th, 2012 07:00

Bingo, thank you :)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 6th, 2012 13:00

Bouddha,

Does that mean that the devices he used were only USB 2.0?

215 Posts

May 7th, 2012 07:00

I had the same issue over the weekend.  I was trying to reisntall windows using my external USB CD Drive. Since it was not working, i tried using my USB flash drive for it.  Both items were not read by the two right USB connectors but both were read by the left one.  I am thinking it's because the two right connectors need the USB 3.0 driver installed while the other does not.  Once I reinstalled windows and the USB driver, both the USB CD drive and the flash drive were read by the two right connectors with no issues.

35 Posts

May 9th, 2012 05:00

it means that the usb3 drivers are not natively present in the install of win 7, so only the left one (usb2) is acttually detectable from the start by windows

No Events found!