Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2011 16:00

m14X Microphone Dead on Arrival

- Just purchased an m14X Laptop less than 21 days ago,

-Cost: $1850

- Downloaded Skype last night; MICROPHONE DOES NOT WORK.

Webcam is fine, microphone will only pick up "something" if I tap it with my fingers, If i talk or scream it does not. Even if im a few inches away from the Microphone, it still doesn't work.

What i've tried: I have uninstalled the Realtek HD Audio driver, downloaded latest drivers from Dell and Realtek. Neither of them would fix the problem. I have checked device manager, Microphone is enabled and "Working properly", I have gone to control panel and change settings on the Microphone Volume, as well as the dB level (all the way to 30) to make it more sensitive. I have disabled options on Realtek Software, such as noise cancellation, etc. None of em work.

Microphone "pick-up bar" works, green bar will spike if I tap microphone with my fingers, If i talk, scream, yell it does not. All done with no surround noise. I've tried Window's recording program, Skype, and MSN.

I then tried using the AlienRespawn Discs I made the day I received my laptop. Restored it, still .. same problem.

I've been on the phone for 3 hours. These are my options according to Dell:

Send a tech with a replacement screen (mic is embedded). This mean I will probably get a refurbished part.. or even if it's a new part, this makes me iffy about the quality of the whole product. Less than 21 days and already replacing parts.

Return my Laptop, wait 2 weeks for refund, which i'll then have to reorder, and wait for it to get built. This way, I won't have a laptop for work for a month. Customer service did not guarenteed either, the price I originally paid for it. So.. I could be paying more. What's worse, I opend a Credit Line (DPA) which offered no interest for the first 12 months of your first purchase... And since I would have to repurchase, I won't even have the no-interest offer anymore.

INCREDIBLE!

I just wish I was sent a new laptop, and once I receive it, I would re-send this defective one. However, Tech Support said, since it is only a microphone issue, they couldn't do that... That I would either have the screen replaced or return my laptop....

67 Posts

August 20th, 2011 07:00

Fight it cause how are u going to buy something u get it and it doesn't work...then they start replacing parts...get a new one...thats all i would be saying....its like buying a new car and it doesn't turn on when u try to get off the lot with it...

No Events found!