Highlighted

m14x left hinge defect

Like many of you, I have encountered the infamous left hinge defect.  I am still under warranty.  It doesn't matter.  The rep I talked to didn't try to pull the whole "oh well it's wear and tear" bit on me but instead talked about how the warranty only covers "what's on the inside like hard drive and stuff"

I assume she meant parts with tech specs.  It wasn't really clear, as hinges are on the inside.

I think it's it's insane to offer 4 different warranties and have none of them cover a well known defect.  I know most people don't even report it because if you google "alienware warranty case" or "alienware warranty left hinge" the m14x left hinge defect is the first bunch of results, all talking about how most customers end up with this defect and are brushed off or forced to pay for an expensive repair.  And it's not easy to even get through to a support person.  You can't use Dell's live chat (why?) and today when I called, express code in hand, I was put on hold for under 10 seconds and then I got a message saying they're all busy, "goodbye" and the stupid machine hung up on me.  And don't even try to email them.  I emailed them years ago for another hardware problem and they still haven't gotten back to me.

I will never buy Alienware again.  I will never buy Dell again.  I will make sure my friends, family, and coworkers never buy Dell/Alienware again, and most of us each buy a laptop every couple years (plus warranties).  

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: m14x left hinge defect

I’m sorry for the situation, please send me a private message with you service tag and a brief explanation so I can review your case.

Thank you! 

Alienware-Milena
Dell | Alienware Technical Support Alienware Arena
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
rmitch70
1 Nickel

Mine happened just after the warranty ran out. Then I continued to use it and the RIGHT hinge froze up and busted the case on that side. I am so glad decided to pay the extra money for my Alienware. Are you kidding me? And it seems that no matter what kind of coverage you have the hinge is not covered. What a load of ***. I will never buy another Dell or Alienware. Why would I flush money down my toilet? IT's the same thing.

0 Kudos

Yeah.  I've had better luck with MSI since then (spent more, but it's worth it).  Still had a couple issues, and the wait is awful when you ship it out for repairs, but they fixed everything I asked for and more all for free.  FWIW, before I argued that there were many threads about this defect, there were many.  After, they said were "unaware" of it being at all widespread (therefore not a defect and not covered by warranty), and suddenly the threads are mostly gone.  

0 Kudos