Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2012 15:00

m17x

I have a m17x with q9000, 260m sli and i have been having some problems, only owned less than a month, first

screen freeze, no mouse, have to hard reset, run diagnostiics and everything is ok, (2 times) black screen, have to hard reset

run diagnostics and everything is ok(2 times).  third, today i got a multi colred screen freeze same as before, ran diagnostics everything is

ok(twice today)   I have updated per dell driver site and still does it, (updated the first time it happened). does it in sli and normal modes

anyone have any ideas.  any help before i call dell support would be helpfull, i really hate to spend hours on the phone if

i do not have to.

thanks  dan

1.2K Posts

February 8th, 2012 15:00

ooooo a M17X R1 ...ooo i got so many painfull memories just like yours  cept i had 280M sli LOL anyway ... does it do this when surfing the web? normal browsing or just when runnign games ..  any specific amount fo time being on or always randomly? if you just got it was it a refurb? used? .. a replacement?  since that system is from 2009/10  

when updating drivers are you cleaning old drivers out with a driver cleaner (requires safemode) then installing clean drivers or just updating  from what there( known issues this way)  more info  on stated abouve would be great to help

7 Posts

February 8th, 2012 21:00

this system was bought as a scratch and dent on 9 jan, before i bought it i checked the build date and was told it was sep 2011, with this said, it doesn't matter when it happens but normally it happens within 15 min to 1 hour, after start up. once i do a hard restart it doesn't so it again until the next time i reboot.  once i have rebooted i can have the computer up for 4 or 5 hours without a problem, temps seem ok.  the last time i redid the drivers it was in safe mode, and it still does it.  I have noticed that some of my icons seem to go to differents areas of the screen on restart (maybe nothing but just saying) the only thing that shows up on alien autopsy is a unexpected restart.  Full specs, m17x, bios a06, quad q9000, 8gb ram ddr3 1333, dual ndvidia m260, 320 gb hard drive @54k.  any help would be appreciated because I really enjoy this computer except for the probems.

22 Posts

February 9th, 2012 04:00

Im actually having the same problems from my M14x that is only a few months old. It has had the Motherboard and RAM replaced twice, and upon the second time, it started doing the same thing your is doing. I did a complete windows re-install, new driver, but no luck. I guess it is off to the phoneline for me unless someone has any ideas

1.2K Posts

February 9th, 2012 10:00

well just to note the core2quad is older and suffered alot of problems from stuttering and so fourth ,  being produced in 2011 they lied unlessits refurbed being scratch and dent  or they had left over parts from 2009 (doubtfull) cause in 2010 the R2 replaced it and came with Core I7/I5 first gen then 2011 was Second gen to current I7's  so enough of a history lesson LOL  

this sounds like software issue in any regards but try this:

Download Furmark and bench the cards it will show temp and  so fourth watch temps if it system fails fast its usually a sign of hardware issue cause in my case with my OLD R1 the nvidia driversd would crash and recover when  driver was issue ..  sorry im @ work atm so i can post the  updated INF (current for video cards) NOT DELLS OUTDATED   but try this first see what happens  it be interesting

Reason for saying built in 2011 is a lie is cause on oct 2010 i had my R1 replaced with updated R2 due to parts beign unavailable .

No Events found!