Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2010 07:00

my $2700 M15x is lagging in wow on low settings...

I am not sure what is wrong but the title says it all my laptop is lagging and im in the 14-20 fps range which is horrible because my brother has an alienware and he can get in the 200 fps ranges

Processor: i7 Q740 @1.73 GHz

RAM: 8GB

Video Card: Nvida Geforce 260m

----I was wondering if they installed the wrong processor because i ordered the i7 quad core at 1.73 but it doesnt say quad core in my computer/properties.

----Also the processor said something about 2.9 GHz turbo mode would that be bad for my computer

All Help is appreciated =)

265 Posts

Its not the wrong processor. Why would turbo mode be bad for the CPU if Intel designed it for the processor? I dont understand.....

I dont think you need to keep making multiple threads regarding the same problem. Just reply in the original thread you made.

10 Posts

I would of replied on the original thread but it was deleted and could you please help me because every other time i make a post i have to go and how do i activate turbo mode then

10 Posts

December 4th, 2010 08:00

yeah i am really sorry but i dont know how to unistall all drivers

but i think i fixed by turning computer to high preformance i meen the computer is getting pretty hot on my lap but im playing on max settings with 60fps so im happy

265 Posts

Turbo mode only works on 1 Core at the maximum speed of 2.93Ghz (on your CPU) just as any other i7 quad core mobile CPU, because having all 4 cores at the full speed would generate too much heat for the laptop, no to mention suck too much power.

You have the correct processor though, which is the i7 740QM. The "QM" in the CPU name I assume means "Quad Mobile." I have the i7 720QM in my M15x. Just a slightly lower clock speed. But it will only show a Q 720 or Q740 iin Windows. That is just the way it reports the hardware I guess.

Lets get some information then. What is the current BIOS version you are running? You will find this if you type "msinfo32" in the start menu area where it says search programs or in the Run menu. The latest one is A08, which you should definitely update to if its not running that version. It fixes many things.

Update to BIOS A08 first before anything else.

Next, find out which Nvidia driver version you are running for the GTX 260M. If it is not 260.99, then follow these steps:

1.) Download the latest Nvidia Driver from their website, not the Dell verrsion. This should be the correct version for your system:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/notebook-win7-winvista-64bit-260.99-whql-driver.html

Once downloaded, dont install it yet. Just let it sit on the desktop.

2.) Download and install Driver Sweeper here: http://phyxion.net/Driver-Sweeper/View-category

The latest version is 2.7.5. Install the software but dont run it yet.

3.) Once it is installed, go to the control panel and uninstall ALL nvidia software and drivers. That includes Physx, Display, stereoscopic 3d, etc. But start with the display driver. Usually if you uninstall the display, it will uninstall the rest too.

If it prompts you to reboot, DONT. At this point, select restart later, and run driver sweeper, check the box that says Nvidia Display and click the clean button. After that is done, it will prompt you to reboot. Now you can reboot.

4.) After you reboot and get back into Windows, now you can install the new driver package from Nvidia. Just install like normal, and reboot when it completes.

That should fix things up. Make sure you always play with the power adapter plugged in. The M15x/M17x were not designed to play max performance when unplugged for some reason.

10 Posts

BIOS Version/Date    Alienware A07, 7/21/2010

I dont know how to instal new one srry im a bit of a noob

also i just got my computer to work a lot better apparently i was on low preformance mode i just switched to high preformance and that helped a lot.

and currently im downloading the new driveer u posted

265 Posts

The BIOS is fairly easy to update. Just make sure you have an empty USB Flash Drive. It will install everything to that, and when booting up, just press F12 for the boot menu, and select boot from USB. Then its pretty much done from there. Just let it do its thing all the way until it reboots.

I will try to post step by step to update the BIOS.

Make sure you uninstall the old Dell Drivers first. This is very important. And make sure to clean with driver sweeper, or Windows will find the driver on the HDD and reinstall it again.

265 Posts

December 4th, 2010 09:00

Well I am glad its working.

In the future though, I would strongly recommend updating the BIOS. Alienware Tech Support can do this for you remotely if you wish.

No Events found!