Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2015 13:00

permanent battery damage...needs to be replaced

I am receiving this message when starting up my Alienware 17 mid 2013. Also, The battery charge indicator is 100% but when unplug the AC adaptor the laptop shuts off immediately. I received the laptop in December 2013 so it is not that old to have a bad battery. I went online and ran the diagnostics from Dell and everything checks out ok, even the battery. Then I updated some apps, drivers, firmware and BIOS but that didn't solve the issue. Is anyone experiencing this type of problem.

2.3K Posts

February 15th, 2015 14:00

I am not 100 percent when it comes to laptops and newer batteries, however it sounds like even though the battery can hold a charge, the laptop thinks there is something wrong with it and to prevent damage to your system it is shutting itself down.  Some modern batteries have sensors in them that communicate with the BIOS and the battery could be throwing a type of HALT signal. I would replace the battery and see if it happens again.  If it does then there is something wrong with the motherboard or BIOS etc. 

February 15th, 2015 15:00

Thank you for the recommendation.

1 Message

March 24th, 2015 14:00

My Alienware 17 is also mid 2013 (late October) and I had the same issue. My battery would only charge to 97% when plugged. When unplugged and reaching about 30% I got a message that my battery level is at critical. When I plugged in again it showed something between 7-13%.

Now unfortunately I receive a message that my "battery has experienced permanent failure and needs to be replaced" when I start my laptop, just after the chance to hit F2 to get to the bios. I also have to strike F1 to get that message away. Now my battery does not charge anymore.

March 24th, 2015 14:00

I ended up contacted Dell directly and buying a replacement battery. Cost was about $79.99. After replacing it is back to working normal.

2 Posts

September 17th, 2015 15:00

I had the same issue with my M17X R2 so I bought a replacement F310J which after being installed starting charging and now shows 100%.  The system runs on the battery just fine and on AC and indicates charging when it is not 100%.  But, I still get the permanent failure at BIOS startup.  How do I clear this error?

1 Message

September 23rd, 2015 06:00

This is weird.. I am having the exact machine as you.. Alienware 17 mid 2013. I did not use it for 1 week at home. When I brought it to my office later on, it gives the same error as you mentioned. Battery was in good condition before it gave out that error.. I suspect something related with BIOS or firmware instead of battery itself.

October 17th, 2015 17:00

I think it is the opposite. I am experiencing the same issue with my Alienware 17, and i would say it looks more like Windows thinks the battery has 100%, but theres no power on the batteries.

My reason for thinking like this, is that if there were power on the batteries, and windows didn't think so, it would shut down very fast, but would still take time to save configurations and prepare for shutting down. When i remove my A/C adapter, it shuts down instantly, and needs recovery when i turn it on again, so i'm pretty positive something in my battery has stopped working.

Before my battery went really bad, i experienced the same issue with the last 20% of my battery. It would charge to 100%, but when the battery fell to 20%, it would lose all power immediately. Now it's just the entire battery.

October 17th, 2015 17:00

"How do i clear this error?"

If you hit F2 when the error strikes, i think you should find something in BIOS related to testing battery and A/C adapters. If you disable that feature, BIOS will not check for faulty batteries or adapters at startup.I'm not completely sure, though.

No Events found!