m3th0d1c4l
3 Silver

Re: "Stealth Button" Issue on M15X

Stealth Mode only works when you are plugged into the AC Adapter. When running on battery power, stealth mode is not available, because the computer is already in a low power consumption state.

Alienware Aurora R4
Intel Core i7 3930K
16GB 2133MHz Corsair Dominator GT
3GB AMD Radeon HD 7970
SoundBlaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
Killer 2100 NIC
512GB Crucial M4 SSD
19-in-1 Media Card Reader
Blu-ray Disc Combo / DVDRW
W7 Ultimate x64
23" Samsung S23A750D 1080P 120Hz

0 Kudos
Ravenwjf
1 Nickel

Wow, I need to check that again................I think I set my battery up for High performance as well, and that enabled my stealth to work.............or at least I thought it worked.  Guess I will check that at home.

0 Kudos
7Leagueboot
3 Zinc

So, if it only works in AC mode, what is the point of it?

0 Kudos
m3th0d1c4l
3 Silver

That my friend, is a question for Alienware.....LOL.

I have tried to figure that one out for a while, and I agree with you, it doesnt make any sense. I am guessing maybe it is to put it into a lower power state so it wont make as much noise with the fans and heat,etc. But again, i have no clue.

All I know is, when I press the Stealth Mode button on battery, it gives me a message saying "Stealth Mode not available while running on battery."

For those that have the M15x/M17x, try pressing the stealth mode button on battery and see if you get the same message.

Alienware Aurora R4
Intel Core i7 3930K
3GB AMD Radeon HD 7970
Killer 2100 NIC
512GB Crucial M4 SSD
W7 Ultimate x64

0 Kudos
7Leagueboot
3 Zinc

Well I just tried it and I regret to inform you it worked perfectly. I got no error message, only a message to inform me the system had entered into Stealth Mode. I could not find out how to turn it off though. Tapping on the Stealth Mode button again only resulted in a message saying "Stealth Mode is already activated".

0 Kudos
m3th0d1c4l
3 Silver

Well, I dont know how that is possible, at least from my point of view.

Here is a screenshot of what I get when I am on battery power, and I press the stealth mode odometer:7651.Stealth Mode.PNG

So I dont know what is going on. You can see I am on battery power in the taskbar. What are the specs of your M15x compared to mine?

I have i7 720QM, 8GB 1333MHz, 256GB SSD, ATI HD 5850 1GB, BDROM Drive. Running BIOS A08 and Latest CC from the downloads page. I just want to see if maybe it differs from a hardware standpoint.

Alienware Aurora R4
Intel Core i7 3930K
3GB AMD Radeon HD 7970
Killer 2100 NIC
512GB Crucial M4 SSD
W7 Ultimate x64

0 Kudos
Julian H
2 Bronze

Tried it on my M15X, no indication or warning except button brightens up. Touching pad again, indicator dims. With regard to a previous comment, touching stealth mode does produce a 'w' in a text /W/P programme.

0 Kudos
Cobbie911
1 Nickel

Stealth mode is only available when the computer is connected to the AC power supply.

I believe the idea is to reduce the amount of load required to run the laptop from the power supply when connected to a low load outlet such as an aircraft AC power point or the 12volt to 110/240volt converters you can get for the car. If you run it off the power supply at max chat you would probably trip the outlet protection device. Not that there is enough room on a plane to use an M15x, let alone an M17x.

If you try and select the stealth mode while on battery power you will get the not supported message.

Cobbie

0 Kudos
m3th0d1c4l
3 Silver

I thought so. I was scared for a moment thinking my M15x was defective or something.

I remember reading somewhere that it was not supported on battery as well. Also, I figured it can also be used to just reduce the overall heat output, which would make less noise with the fans while you are using it to just browse the internet, email, etc.

If you notice, when you unplugg the notebook, it already cuts the CPU speed and GPU max clock speeds. So if you enabled stealth mode while on battery, it would technically make it worse and to the point of unuseability.

Alienware Aurora R4
Intel Core i7 3930K
3GB AMD Radeon HD 7970
Killer 2100 NIC
512GB Crucial M4 SSD
W7 Ultimate x64

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Cobbie911
1 Nickel

This is all i can find in the user manual for the M15x

Stealth Mode

Stealth mode is designed to reduce the processor and graphics utilization and thereby reduces the energy consumption and noise level of your computer. Stealth mode helps you to use a 65 W auto/air adapter.

You can access Stealth mode by gently touching the touch control located near the top of the keyboard. The control will illuminate to full brightness until the function is deactivated. For the exact location of the control, see "Computer Base and Keyboard Features" on page 18.

Cobbie

0 Kudos