Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

April 9th, 2017 07:00

sound notification

I have been working with my Alienware 17 R4 for just over a week and it wont stop chiming! I have been in settings and turned off ALL sound notification but still it chimes. It will chime during movie or game play.  The only way to stop it is to mute the speakers (which makes watching a movie or playing a game nearly impossible).  What is the magical setting that developers thought was so important that I be notified at a near constant intervals? And how do I disable it?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 10th, 2017 08:00

Hi erinohio‌,

Does the same happens with headphones? Also, try with the volume at zero and tell me if it still happens.

5 Posts

April 20th, 2017 15:00

HI! the chiming did continue through the headphones. I went under settings, searched for sound, and then turned off all the windows default. I can still watch videos and control the volume, but there are no more chimes.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 20th, 2017 19:00

You are not the only one. Some have had some luck:

https://community.dell.com/thread/23881-alienware-17-r4-constantly-chiming

1 Message

December 26th, 2017 18:00

I got a new Alienware 17 R4 two weeks ago and get the random chiming thing.  I may have solved it.  I noticed that the Killer Control Center didn't think anything was connected even though I'm hard wired directly to the back of my Comcast Gateway. I finally caught it the act of trying and failing to utilize the built-in WiFi, which I didn't care about or setup.

I had opened Settings/Networks (W10 latest, fall creative edition) and on Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections I noticed the WiFi was flashing on and off correlated with the chime.

As soon as I configured it to connect to my home WiFi, the chiming stopped and the Killer Center also no longer

complained.  I'm not sure yet how or whether I want to take full advantage of the Killer features.  But it was sure an easy

fix for the thing that has plagued me from day one! (Note when the chiming was sounding I was also getting really poor network download speed as the system was busy servicing the error.  This setup issue out to be part of Alien 101 hints for setup on high on the Alien Tech Dudes visor!

No Events found!