Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 18th, 2015 23:00

upgrading my GeForce GTX 580

Hi everyone I’m looking for some advice I’ve got a late  2009 aurora desk top with a GeForce GTX 580 Graphics card in it and i`d like to upgrade it to maybe a GTX 970 or even the GTX 980. But I’m not sure if they`d fit or work with my aurora R1. Help!!!

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 21st, 2015 15:00

Hello IHATEJO1,

We have not validated the Nvidia GTX 970 or the GTX 980 cards to function with this computer. Therefore, we cannot confirm if the system is going to support them.

The GeForce GTX 580 Graphics card is the highest card that we can support for the Alienware Aurora R1 model. As a recommendation, you can measure the dimensions on the Nvidia GTX 580 card that you have and compare it to the Nvidia GTX 970 or the GTX 980, this way you would know if it can physically fit inside the computer.

Also, check the power consumption on the Nvidia GTX 970 or the GTX 980 cards, they may require a higher power supply on the computer for the cards to work properly.

50 Posts

April 21st, 2015 15:00

Hi  and thanks for the advise the dimensions look to be the same but i didnt know about the power supply i`ll check on the Nvidia wed site they should have it there i hope on the spec`s for my old one and those two 

any thanks 

No Events found!