Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

EN

March 17th, 2012 10:00

x51 GeForce 555GTX Updating driver problem

Trying to update my drivers from stock ver.285.66 to the new 296.10 but when I do everything lags and games crash.
I have rolled back to 285.66 but does this mean I can't update?
Can anyone run into this and can provide some help?

8 Posts

March 17th, 2012 12:00

Don't think GTX555 is on the compatibility list for that driver.

82 Posts

March 17th, 2012 21:00

I have been running the 295.73 500 seriesa driver for a few weeks - no issues better performance/visuals max settings  on games like skyrim, fallout's, swtor, mass effect 3. The reason i went to this version was bsod's bugcheck 116 relating to the nvidia driver. Since then I have not had issues.

I have recently updated to 296.10 for the gte 500 series and so far so good no perf issues and is quite nice. I uninstalled all nvidia packages via add/remove programs - rebooted when it ask and cleaned up with ccleaner (just nvidia ref).

Then ran the setup custom/clean install - very nice :). ** One thing if during the uninstall your screen goes blank (that is if you are plugged into the discrete vid card)  - make sure you have an hdmi cable to go from the on board to your monitor - you'll get the display back and then reboot. Unplug and put back to discrete vid card. it will come up fine.

I heard the 560se (shows as supported) retail version is pretty much the same as the 555 oem. Dunno but it has been working fine and is good to know that I can keep my vid drivers up to date.

11 Posts

March 18th, 2012 12:00

I may have got the driver to work perfectly.

After installing it again with the clean install checked, it seems to be running just like 285.66 was before all this.

Hope I don't have to do that every update...

191 Posts

September 6th, 2012 07:00

Are you useing the hdmi from the motherboard or the dvi from the gpu?

I think the x51 runs optimus, so if you use the hdmi on the motherboard it may be using the intel gpu built into the motherboard and not the gtx555 like it should.

11 Posts

September 6th, 2012 07:00

So my problem has returned... Happens every time I start up the X51. Currently I am running the official Dell video drivers  296.36. Was running Nvidia's official drivers 301.42. Did a clean install of Dell's official drivers following the guide here:

support.dell.com/.../document

If I restart the computer it 'fixes' the problem until I start up from a full powered down state. I know it has nothing to do with the graphic drivers.

This is getting really annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

Recap: Aero effects on windows & programs lag, games crash.

11 Posts

September 6th, 2012 14:00

I am using one of the DVI ports on the GPU.

I believe you are right about the Optimus. The only time I have used the HDMI port on the motherboard is when I did the clean removal of graphic drivers.

And to add alittle edit to what I said before: The lagged Aero effects & what-not only happens off the first power-up of the day...which is weird from my understanding...

No Events found!