Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2016 16:00

x51 r2 Windows 10 upgrade

For people who are rocking x51 r2 and have not upgraded their system to Windows 10 here is my seamless upgrade guide. I know this have been mentioned a few months back last year but I know some people are hesitant to upgrade their rig because of the fiasco. If you have not created a recovery image I suggest you do it first. Any way this is what I did.

1. Make sure to update all the necessary Microsoft update before you begin. Restart your PC and hit f2 to go to the BIOS.

2. under bios navigate to BOOT tab 

3. highlight secure boot /press enter and tick disable/ press f10 and save.

4. uninstall whatever video driver your running AMD or Nvidia.

5. shut down you pc. Unhook any dp/hdmi video card cable from your pc to monitor.

6. use an hdmi cable to hook up your pc to your monitor. There is an hdmi port that is covered by a black plastic cap(dell graphic card). This method will prevent Windows 10 from reading multiple monitors

7. Now your ready to install Windows 10 just be patient

8. After you finish your set up wait for about 10 to 15 mins for the system to settle down.

9. turn off of your pc

10. hook back up whatever cable you were using hdmi/dp before you upgrade from the video card to your monitor. Download whatever the latest driver your running before.

I just threw this out there as a simple guide for the community I am no expert I just waited for the right time to upgrade read all guides watch youtube and made my own conclusion on how to upgrade from Windows 10. Because sometimes down the road you are going to update to Windows 10 because of how Microsoft implement there new OS. I think you only have till July of this year to make your decision to upgrade. Good luck guys/gal..

49 Posts

February 19th, 2016 11:00

Your very welcome...

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

February 19th, 2016 11:00

Hi, 

Thank you for sharing this with the Alienware Community.

No Events found!