Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

4 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 04:00

AW 15R3 - Update Bios err- Allocating memory

Hi guys ,

I currently have an Alienware 15R3 with a recurrent  (BSOD) "Thread Stuck in Device Driver " on Windows 10
It recently went worse as I cannot boot into windows without this BSOD coming up after 3sec

So I have decided to update my bios (currently in A06) through W10 safe mode.
However i get the "Unable to Load driver" error message when I execute the Bios update file.

So i have decided to set up a Freedos on my USB stick and I copy the Bios Update file downloaded from Dell website in order to execute the Bios Flash Update directly from the Bios (F12 on launch --> Bios Flash Update) . 
However , another problem strike,  once in the GSET Bios Flash Update I cannot use the left / right arrow from the keyboard (only the ups and downs work) in order to select the bootable disk and run the program. I tried to plug another Keyboard through USB same problem .

So I have tried to Boot directly from the USB stick using FreeDos and I have the following error message :
Error : Problem allocating memory

run-time error R6000

-stack overflow

My Bios is open and I have no restriction in parameter of anykind.

This is a story when everything goes wrong , so if anyone can help me I would really really appreciate .

Thank you guys and Best Regards

Guillaume

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

January 4th, 2018 07:00

Hi ‌,

Send me a private message with the service tag so I can assist you further. 

4 Posts

January 5th, 2018 02:00

Hi Guys ! 

Just to let you know, I finally managed to update the BIOS from A06 to A09.

Still it did not worked and still get the BSOD Thread Stuck in Device Driver.

I then de-install the AMD Driver using DDU in Safe Mode , and reboot my computer and it worked, I could log into windows. Then I tried to re-install the lastest drivers AMD and it crashed again so problem come from AMD Drivers compatibility with my graphic card AMD Radeon R9 M295X.

I finally install AMD Catalyst Driver 15.1, and since then no problem at all.

I heard here and there that the crash might be caused by raptr (gaming evolved) from the latest AMD driver. You need to install in custom mode and remove gaming evolved , I will try and let you posted.

During this journey I found some bug. When I wanted to boot into safemode with AlienRespawn intalled , I boot first into AlienRespawn , then I ask to boot windows into safe mode , and nothing happen ... computer stopped and when I relaunch i boot into windows normal (not safe mode). 

Just to let you guys know ...

No Events found!