Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 5th, 2016 21:00

Aurora R5 VRM/MOSFET Heatsink Missing In Non-K CPU Motherboard

After reading many posts in this forum, I learned that if you've selected a non-K CPU, the motherboard will not come with the VRM/MOSFET heatsink installed.

Prior to purchasing this desktop, I was informed that every components of the Aurora can be upgraded/swapped out excluding the motherboard. And I quote:

09/30/2016 05:12:53PM Agent (Xxxxxx_X): "So, you can add any components to the system at a later point of time. However, the motherboard itself would not be replaceable on any machine"

This tells me that I can swap my i5-6400 for an i7-6700K down the road if I wanted to, right?

I can totally understand the liquid cooling not being a base option but what I can't understand is why the customers receive the machine with lacking motherboards just because they didn't opt-in for the "K" CPU.

It's my first Alienware purchase, and yes, I should have known better but this is quite frustrating.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

October 6th, 2016 06:00

Try to be the 1st person to start a petition on Alien Arena, to get the Aliens to release these heatsinks to spare parts (your heatsink's held back as a hostage / they demand $25 ransom etc), with a part# attached.

You, & all who read this: best option available to you

• take your complaint to the General Manager Frank Azor, on twitter
  • ask they release it as a ransomable spare part, even if just a small batch
  • the tweet goes public, drawing attention to the loss of the heatsink (punitive measure)
  • tweet informs public how GM handles the matter
  • if you tweet &/or get a response, post a capture here (or your petition thread)
  • https://twitter.com/AzorFrank

1727_IMG_0816.JPG

in the Alienware E3 2016 Product Reveal (World Debut Video) / Youtube, Mr Azor says, paraphrased: they're aware that if you buy their new desktop, your thoughts may be on having it in your life for as long as 10years down the road, & they've got your best interests at heart to help get it there, yadda yadda. I call B.ravo S.ierra. The level of cheap-skatedness is breathtaking on this $2 piece of metal; when given 10years of ownership, Azor surely must know that most of these mthrbrds are scheduled to get the top 6700k & Kabylake 7700k someday, so won't those need the 'over-clocking' heatsink too? Of course. Simply put, all mthrbrds should get one, yet here they've found an odd cost-cut measure

6765.mosfet.jpg

copper or black-coated copper

35807.Capture.JPG

search: mosfet heatsink | vrm heatsink | chipset heatsink online, to see what your options are

3 Posts

October 6th, 2016 09:00

EDIT: Cass uploaded the screenshot of tweets below.

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

October 6th, 2016 10:00

updates: https://twitter.com/AzorFrank/status/784046330016571394

5633_Capture3.JPG

5460_Capture4.JPG

resumed

0116.Capture3.JPG

the Head Alien

Lame excuse for abducting the heatsink to begin with (there's no excuse, it's a $ grab & another obvious reason?, once word gets out, people 'steer' to the pricier builds to claim heatsink, yes?)

"Only liquid cooled boards get it" ... uh ... doesn't the man know that people can put their own liquid coolers in? And their own K-Intels in? Wh yes, yes he do

A Message from the President

"If you can build it better than we can, we encourage you to go do that. We have a community that talks and engages about this stuff ... You can buy an Aurora for $799 with an i3, & a year later you can add all this other hardware. It’ll be virtually none of what we sold you. But if you call us, we’ll answer that support call. We don’t force you to go back to factory components. We build upgradability into all of our machines. That may not appeal to the hardest core of the DIY guys, but for someone who wants a base platform to tweak later, we provide support"

Besides, since he's well aware, in fact it's implicit he's aware that people will buy the i3 & upgrade later, to what? liquid cooler & K-Intel ... & right now??? ...

I'm staring at my Master's Degree on my wall

what ev-uh Frank

65016.Capture.JPG

2821.Capture1.JPG

"yes you can ... 

just won't get as much OC headroom if it isn't liquid cooled & have some air over VRegs"

mmmhmmm ... what ev-uh

a compromised over-clocking performance boundary, for $2 worth of metal

zero-fat design (heatsinks are fat they trimmed off their budget)

Designed to keep cool. Inspired by the thermal ergonomics of the Area-51, the Aurora provides optimal air intake on the front and right panels and an exhaust fan on top for maximum airflow and cooling of internal components. (Maximum cooling of internal components? Hun-uh, that's optional)

Engineered for overclocking: (not exactly, some have little headroom for it)

false-advertising easily cured with $2 of metal

Mr Azor: do the right thing & release the abducted hostage heatsinks for your ransom

I mean what's worse? The fact they kept it? Or having to buy it back post-sale?

I hope their reputation takes a bad hit, cause this is stupid

edit:

So... wouldn't you agree that the non-K customers do indeed receive lacking motherboards?
of course I agree, the whole thing's petty, like a con-job

They could easily make these available as spare parts, but, it's ike they want word to get out the heatsink ain't included & can't be bought, so you're 'persuaded' to buy their over-priced K-option ... welcome to life with Aliens

1 Rookie

• 

1.8K Posts

October 6th, 2016 10:00

UPDATE

According to Mr. Azor:

"we only have 1 motherboard for Aurora so that claim is not possible."

yes, life on Earth is seemingly impossible, mathematically impossible as well, yet ... here we all are

and Moses said:

doesn't Pharaoh, errrr, Mr Dell need 67billion for his TechBuyout?

tencommandments-04.jpg

release the heatsink ... why keep it when you can overcharge everybody for it

3 Posts

October 6th, 2016 19:00

Yeah, was hoping that he would eventually respond but nothing.

Very confusing as he says that since there is only one type of motherboard in all Aurora R5's, my statement/question on my first tweet is "not possible". Then he contradicts himself by saying that only the K buyers get heatsinks.

So... wouldn't you agree that the non-K customers do indeed receive lacking motherboards?

11 Posts

March 13th, 2017 18:00

Had to do a DIY this on mine since Alienware did not allow me to purchase the part (no surprise there). in case you wanted to know what the part number is its #J46J2 good luck at getting them to allow you to order it since I had no success, all the sales reps told me they did not have this item in stock and to check back the following week, even checking week after week for the past 5 weeks. Dell your customer service ***!!! I have better success with tech support than I do with sales. Anyhow here's a few pics of what I've done in case anyone needs some sort of reference:

Advertised as "No Boundaries" my foot! Unless you have at least $2000 to spend I do not recommend this product other wise you're in for a lot of headaches...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 13th, 2017 22:00

Nice. Now you just need a liquid-cooler.

How do those attach? Is it a special glue or thick double-sided tape?

11 Posts

March 13th, 2017 23:00

Just got my AIO liquid cooler in today:

running some benchmarks on it, running smoothly so far it is a little louder than the air cooler but tolerable. As far as the heatsinks not sure if it makes it any better since there's not a lot of area for the heat to dissipate compared to the metal block that comes stock for the MOSFETs, the kit I ordered comes with small squares of double sided thermal adhesive conductive tape...I hope they stay on there...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 14th, 2017 00:00

Running with the big boys now buddy. [:)]

Yes, you can hear the rad-fan when it has work to do. Mine holds it under 70c while stressing with OCCT PS-test.

Yeah, if we wanted quiet desktops we would have bought an XPS right? [:)] At full-bore, my R6 is still quieter than my R1.

Since you can use the various MB holes, clever use of nylon fishing line might be some good insurance. You could install a couple of single-strand loops (in key locations) to hold them down flat against the board.

27 Posts

March 14th, 2017 12:00

Geeker82 did you order the liquid cooler from dell??? I have called once a week for a while now and keep getting told they are out of stock and to try back again later.

If so, what p/n did you use???

11 Posts

March 14th, 2017 13:00

I did, kept pestering them for about two months and finally was able to order one from them, so it only tells me that they do have the items in question in stock but for whatever reason don't want to make them availiable for purchase, still bothering them for the MOSFET/VRM heat sink...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 14th, 2017 13:00

still bothering them for the MOSFET/VRM heat sink...

So, here is a link to the other thread, where Eimy says the Dell Part Number (DPN) is J46J2 

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/20005955

Not sure why Dell doesn't just get some from Pegatron for sale to help owners.  Warranty issue or liability is as likely a reason as any other. Maybe they could say its only for out-of-warranty customers.

Your other option might be to track down this Pegatron motherboard in the similar HP model. If you can get their part number, and navigate their "parts ordering process" it might work. The HP parts inventory is very comprehensive.

27 Posts

March 14th, 2017 14:00

I was able to order and pay for the heat sink PN J46J2... Only to have my order extended twice, filled out the approval form to allow more extensions... And have them CANCEL my order saying it was at my request... GRRRRR...

Got a pn for the liquid cooler???

11 Posts

March 14th, 2017 15:00

You know whats sad? The same exact thing happened to me only for it to be canceled at my request which I never approved them to do in the first place, and then they tell me over the phone that its out of stock, my question is why did they take my credit card info to process the order in the first place for them to tell me later on that is out of stock, again Dell you need to Improve your Customer Service, unacceptable but you know what that's ok if I need to be the squeaky wheel I will and any one with a non K Aurora should do the same. The part number you'll need for the AIO liquid cooler is #050NP

No Events found!