Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 24th, 2017 22:00

Aurora R5 or R6 Air cooling upgrades

Has anyone upgraded the stock CPU air cooler on their R5 or R6?

Any suggestions due to the space constraints?

22 Posts

March 25th, 2017 03:00

https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/products/cooling/cpu.html

If you decide on one, buy through Amazon (*USA) if you can as for whatever reason they sell for significantly less than directly through Arctic.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 25th, 2017 10:00

Have you considered just installing the Dell Liquid Cooler like it optionally comes with? It should be fairly turn-key.

Pretty sure it's an Asetek clone once again (on Aurora R5/R6) like previous desktop models. There should be a Corsair (or other cloner) model that is the same (but without the Alienware logo of course). Wiring might also be a bit different. 

http://www.asetek.com/oems/where-to-buy/

27 Posts

March 27th, 2017 19:00

I have tried on 3 different occasions to order the mother board heatsink and liquid cooler from dell... On all 3 occasions they have taken the order, extended it twice, then canceled the order.

On the last order I called in to check the order before it was set to cancel (assumed date due to previous experiences) and was told they are out of stock with No known date of arrival to Dell...

So in leu of trying something untested and spending money on something that won't fit I was hoping to see if anyone has installed (successfully) an upgraded aftermarket Air or Water cooler.

I am thinking of trying the Arctic Freezer 120. Anyone have success with that model, and or any tips? 

Also looked at several Low profile Air coolers, but have no clear ideas here due to height/fit of the coolers.

Thanks for any assistance!

22 Posts

March 28th, 2017 01:00

I purchased the Arctic Alpine 11 PRO today via Amazon for like $12 just because I'm trying to maximize airflow in the case.  When I first purchased the Aurora R5 I attempted to do the same thing as you.  I contacted Dell about the liquid cooling unit, and no luck @ all.  I search the web as well for users who added liquid cooling to their cpu in the Aurora, and I had little to no success finding anyone. 

However, I also didn't realize that liquid cooling on the i7 6700 was really unnecessary in that it has less power draw than the 6700k, and does fine w/ an air cooler.  There are plenty of air coolers that are super quiet (Arctic), and another user pointed out that one draw back to liquid cooling is potential reduction of air flow to other components nearby such as memory, or m.2.

Regardless, I recently stumbled on a video of a guy who did add a liquid cpu cooler if you're still interested:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h86pEwh3XPo&t=321s.   It can certainly be done.  I would suggest measuring the distance between the top exhaust fan, and your cpu, and attempt to find an aftermarket, socket compatible liquid cooling solution w/ tubing that is reasonably close to said distance.

No Events found!