Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2017 00:00

Aurora R6 Control Center Temperatures

Hey everyone,

On my new Aurora R6 it looks as though the CPU sensor temperature is reading out under the Ambient Sensor and not the CPU sensor. The fans seem to be running perfectly. It just looks like a display issue.

I just did a clean Windows 10 restore from the factory partition and the issue still exists...

Any ideas?

27 Posts

March 12th, 2017 10:00

I also looked into the "Sleep" "Go Dark" Issue that someone was talking about where when under load the side panel lights would turn off... And so would the fans...

To keep this from happening, Right click on the Alien FX icon in the taskbar and turn of the inactivity timer.

http://en.community.dell.com/owners-club/alienware/f/3746/t/20006452

I was running video bench marks to verify temps when this happened and nearly had a heart attack!!!!

So in short, Alienware needs to make some serious fixes in the Control center software, but at least our machines won't melt themselves down to slag now!

27 Posts

March 14th, 2017 13:00

Uh Alienware??? Hello??? Any word on these troubling issues???

27 Posts

March 19th, 2017 18:00

*Bump* Still wishing for an answer...

27 Posts

March 23rd, 2017 15:00

Are there any plans to fix the Thermal issues in the control center???

5 Posts

April 21st, 2017 08:00

Same issue here. AlientThermal is showing the CPU Temp under the ambient sensor and the Ambient temp under the CPU Sensor, allowing the CPU to get too warm while under "Auto (Alient Control)" setting. Would be nice to get a fix or at least a response here.

4 Posts

April 30th, 2017 15:00

Still hoping someone can help with this

17 Posts

May 4th, 2017 21:00

HOLY CRAP good thing I found this thread. I have an Aurora R6 myself that I upgraded with an i7 7700k and a corsair H75 AIO, along with 32gb ram and an EVGA Gold 650w PSU.

I've been trying to figure out the fan curves for the past 2 weeks and couldn't understand what was wrong. I just checked on CAM and the Alienware Control Panel side by side. The CPU Temps in CAM match the Ambient temps in Alienware control panel. I couldn't figure out why the ambient temps kept spiking into the 50's from doing simple installs. I set the sensor for the top fan manually to the Ambient temp and now all is right in the world. 

Needless to say a corsair 570x case and Maximus ix mobo are looking more and more tempting by the day. I'll use this thing for a bucket o parts  

May 11th, 2017 14:00

Same issue. Just got the pc. Thinking about returning it. Sounds like an airplane when the fans spin up trying to compensate for the misread temps. Can fix it by forcing sensor to fan but cmon this is so simple......

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 11th, 2017 18:00

This thread has accumulated a lot of good info, but several issues are presented. If you can find your answer here great, but if not, I suggest you start a new thread. Please include your config (cooler type, etc.) and what your issue is exactly.

You can also can call Alienware phone support if you need assistance immediately.  I personally own an Aurora-R6 with Liquid-Cooler and it works fine.

17 Posts

May 11th, 2017 20:00

Looks to me like this is the same issue across the board. CPU Temp reading as Ambient Temp. Just because yours isn't acting up doesn't make it less important to those of us having problems. I've since scrapped my Aurora and used the parts to build a custom PC. Way better  

May 11th, 2017 21:00

Took me about 10 seconds to figure out what was going on with the mismapped temp sensors and  how to overcome it by mapping the case fans to cpu sensor and cpu fan to ambient sensor and adjusting the curves. Shouldn't have had to even look at it though. Stupid. Started a video encode and watched the ambient sky rocket to 80c while the cpu is 30c. Case fans screaming so loud I thought it might lift off.  Fantastic out of box experience. This is a pretty dumb thing to get wrong on an oem pc. Good thing is if you revert back to auto fan control the jet engine sound will let you know whats wrong. Not all that impressed with this box.....

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 11th, 2017 21:00

Nycibbyryder wrote:

1. Looks to me like this is the same issue across the board. CPU Temp reading as Ambient Temp.

2. Just because yours isn't acting up

3. doesn't make it less important to those of us having problems.

4. I've since scrapped my Aurora and used the parts to build a custom PC. Way better  

1. I see at least 2 different issues (software bugs), some miss-configg-ed Thermal Controllers and Sensors, some users reluctant to setup Manual-Curves, and maybe yet other confusion brought on by some having fan-coolers while others have Liquid Coolers.

2. I only offer that notice so interested parties can know that it can work properly, and machine is not inherently flawed in some way.

3. I never said that or meant to insinuate that. I just thought the new Aurora-R6 user might want to create a new thread so they get the exposure and help they deserve. And when they say " Same issue ", well that is hard to respond to when several issues are discussed here. My post was a Reply to them, not you specifically.

4. That's cool. I could tell by your first post in this thread that you knew computer hardware well, and you were already going down that path. Some of us just want a high-performance, pre-built machine, and maybe to be an "Alienware owner". Maybe we don't mind paying a little extra for a turn-key experience with a warranty. Just because I didn't build a custom machine this one time, doesn't mean I don't know how. 

17 Posts

May 11th, 2017 22:00

No need to take it personally. I never said anything about your computer-building abilities. I'm sure they're fine. Lol. I only built my own pc after seeing how sexy the 570x looked, and getting a bit frustrated with the limitations of the R6. It cost me about $2k to build my own, the R6 was way cheaper. That doesn't make me or my pc better than you or yours man. To each his own.

My only point was that the thread seems to be based on the mixup in sensor readings. I originally had a fan based cooler myself which I upgraded to an AIO when I bought the 7700k. That doesn't make a difference in the sensors being screwed up. It's also worth mentioning that it seemed ok when left in alien control mode, though it was much better in manual after I figured out a proper fan curve for it. I think the new R6 owner has a right to know this is a common issue. Even among different situations. 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 12th, 2017 09:00

Through my back-channels to Alienware Engineering, I have placed another Trouble Report about Alienware Command Center (and Thermal Controller) v4.6.20.

I suspect the delay might be because of Windows-10 v1703 Creators Update, and an initiative to validate the current set of Dell developed software on that new version of Windows.  

Sure, we have some easy-to-implement work-arounds, but I personally think an update is coming soon. I also requested that a status update be publically posted about when a new fixed version might be released.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 12th, 2017 09:00

Scattin625 wrote:

1. Took me about 10 seconds to figure out what was going on with the mismapped temp sensors and  how to overcome it by mapping the case fans to cpu sensor and cpu fan to ambient sensor and adjusting the curves.

2. Shouldn't have had to even look at it though. Stupid. Started a video encode and watched the ambient sky rocket to 80c while the cpu is 30c. Case fans screaming so loud I thought it might lift off.  Fantastic out of box experience. This is a pretty dumb thing to get wrong on an oem pc. Good thing is if you revert back to auto fan control the jet engine sound will let you know whats wrong.

3. Not all that impressed with this box.....

1. Sorry you had to go through that.

2. Agreed. It is a bit unsettling since it deals with Thermal Controller and the fans. As us Alienware Owners know, there is more to Command Center than just AlienFX and LED lights control.

3. Let us know if we can help with your other issues. There might be an easy fix or work-around. I don't mean to be repetitive, but if it's about something other than Alienware Command Center, a different or new thread might be more visible.

No Events found!