Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 28th, 2017 13:00

Aurora R6 - What SSD type should I get to add on to the stock HDD

I just got an Aurora R6.   Its the model with the base 460w power supply, 1060 GTX, a normal 2TB HDD.

I would like to order an SSD to add on top of the regular 2TB that it comes with, I understand there are 2 drive bays at the bottom?

Just wanted to make sure that 

1) I could do this with the configuration I bought

2) What kind of SSD should I get?   I see the slots are 2.5 inch?   Should it be PCIe or SATA hard drives, and do I need to buy any kind of cables too?

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

I suggest you download the Aurora-R6 Service manual.

You can also look at the Sales Configuration page (since it's a current model).

Standard 2.5inch SATA-3/600 SSDs in lower bays (with blue trays)

One M.2 (form-factor) PCIe NVMe SSD on motherboard (mine came with a Samsung OEM PM-961 512gb SSD)

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

Yes, 460w PS is ok.

1. SSDs use very little power

2. Sales page lets you get SSDs with 460w PS.

As for cables and blue-trays ... anything I say or is "suppose to be" is non-conclusive. I suggest you power-down, remove the side cover, and take a look inside your machine. The lower 2.5inch SSDs need a SATA Power connection and a SATA data-cable to SATA port on motherboard (as shown in Service Manual).

2 Posts

Thank you Tesla.  I looked at the manual and it described how to remove the drives/cages etc.  I feel that I can do that no problem.

What Im still unsure of, is will the PSU be sufficient for me to add the additional SSD in one of the lower bays, and do I need to buy extra cords or are they already in there?   Would it really be as easy as just putting the 2.5 inch ssd in the slot, and hooking up the existing spare SATA and Power cable?

1 Message

March 14th, 2017 18:00

I bought a 2.5 inch 4TB Seagate Barracuda for my Aurora R6, but it won't fit in the drive bay.  The form factor is too tall.  The specs don't say anything about drive height.  The 4TB and 5TB are 15mm, and the 1-3TB are 7mm.  I'm on the phone with support now, but it was short sighted of Alienware to both limit it to a 2.5 inch drive bay and then not support the higher capacity drives.  I was already out of luck in re-using my 5TB 3.5 inch drive, and now I'm out of luck with one of the only well reviewed high capacity 2.5 inch drives I can find.

No Events found!