Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2017 13:00

Aurora R6 keeps going to sleep

I have a new R6 that keeps going to sleep.  The side panel LED strips go out but the PC still stays on, but all CPU intensive operations shutdown (Seti@Home).  It seems to be linked to my trackball or mouse activity. Any ideas?  All Windows power and Sleep functions are set to NEVER, and the bios has nothing set either. A bit perplexed no this one

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 13th, 2017 14:00

Ok, I think I ran into this, and might have a work-around:

While running Heaven Benchmark v4.0 (in continuous loop)
- Full Screen DX11 with Ultra and other fairly-extreme settings. Running around 65fps and GTX-1070 holds under 83c.
- Noticed that soon after monitor turned off (due to no mouse activity for 10 minutes)

... the lights and FANS turned off [:O]

(but benchmark appeared to still be running full throttle).

In AlienFusion, already had set to "High Performance" (Power Profile)
In AlienFusion turned off "Always Ready Mode"
Now you can right click on AlienFX "AlienHead" TaskTray icon, and set Inactivity Timer to Custom/Never go Inactive.

The monitor, case lights, and fans now seem to stay ON while the program is running.
A true Benchmark (once thru all Heaven scenes) reveals FPS:69.1 Score:1742

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 27th, 2017 10:00

If you can recreate the problem with a common Windows app, I will be glad to try it on mine.

For instance:

Mine will Sleep at a drop-of-a-hat. I like it and it's nice to have a Windows machine that Sleeps and wakes properly.

However, if I play a MP3 in Windows Media Player, set to Repeat ... it never sleeps ... monitor doesn't even power down.

EDIT:

In BIOS, I also turned on S3 Sleep option. Now Aurora wakes to a click of the mouse also (not just main power button).

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 27th, 2017 12:00

When running Einstein@Home, all 8 cores are running and the chassis fans are whiling along.  The moment to lights go out, the fans spool down, but the threads are still running.  

So, it's not completely broken because the computer stays on as there is still work to do... "the process" is still running.

However, it is troubling that the fans spool down while the "processor intensive" process is still running (in this case Einstein@Home which needs the fans). This appears to be a bug or at least a condition the Alienware Engineers are not accounting for.

I will do some more testing (the Aurora-R6 is new to me also). However, I can say at this point that this version of Alienware Command Center (on this Aurora-R6) does seem to be working and controlling devices (fans and lights) differently than on my Aurora-R1. I would even say (in Kevin's case)  improperly and with detrimental effects.

February 27th, 2017 12:00

Mine is a new R6; 8 core i7, 64GB ram, bla bla bla

If I watch Netflix, etc, no problem.  When I just leave the box alone, it goes to sleep after 5 minutes.  By asleep I mean the side case lights go out.  Maybe it is really nothing and it is just a feature to turn the lights off to keep them from annoying the user.

When running Einstein@Home, all 8 cores are running and the chassis fans are whiling along.  The moment to lights go out, the fans spool down, but the threads are still running.  Maybe my UPS is causing this and I should look into its power saving features as it does have the ability to shutdown my PC on a >5 minutes pwoer outage.

Thanks Tesla1856!

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 5th, 2017 14:00

So, how's it going with your problem?

I have noticed that during testing ... the "looping process" used for testing can't be Windows Media Player or any video app because they tend to keep the screen on, and therefore, the computer will not even begin to go to sleep, much less Command Center think its ok to turn off the lights and fans.

27 Posts

March 11th, 2017 14:00

I have seen my R6 "Go Dark" with the Fans, Top, Front, and CPU drop to minimums until the mouse is moved again with the system under load... NOT Good!!!

REALLY would love to see some answers as to the issues I have found with the Control Center on the R6!!!!!

27 Posts

March 11th, 2017 14:00

Think I found it!!! Right click on the Alien FX Icon...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 13th, 2017 14:00

1. I have seen my R6 "Go Dark" with the Fans, Top, Front, and CPU drop to minimums

2. until the mouse is moved again with the system under load... NOT Good!!!

1. Same here. Not sure why they think fans should disable with case-lights.

2. Yes, seems to be controlled by lack of mouse activity like "turning off the display"

March 14th, 2017 09:00

The Inactivity Timer had been grayed out in the past.  Thank for the help guys!

March 14th, 2017 09:00

Thsnk you very much!  This fixed the problem

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 14th, 2017 13:00

The Inactivity Timer had been grayed out in the past.  Thank for the help guys!

Right, same here. Thanks for originally bringing this to our attention.

9 Posts

March 14th, 2017 18:00

Tesla, your solution did it! Props man:

In AlienFusion turned off "Always Ready Mode"

Now you can right click on AlienFX "AlienHead" TaskTray icon, and set Inactivity Timer to Custom/Never go Inactive.

3 Posts

June 12th, 2017 21:00

Bro maybe you can help me out i have an aurora r6 is my first day with it and very new to gaming computer but the computer led strip lights went off like this post says and my command center all it do is say "not responding" and to close it..please help i really dont want to return it

No Events found!