Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 15th, 2017 03:00

New Alienware 15 R3 OVERHEAT ??

Recently i purchased an Alienware 15 r3 with 7700HQ and gtx 1070. I read a lot about overheat issues, yet i read in intel website that as long as CPU doesn't reach 100 degree, its ok, but ofc i will not wait until it reach this temp. So i want to know if this temperature is ok ?? I was playing Dishonored 2, Everything is almost on Ultra with G-sync enabled.

edit :

I tried undervolting to -0.130 and this is what i got

June 16th, 2017 04:00

Hallo rabah1991. Great Job with the Screenshots.

your first Screenshot looks somewhat worrying. the second one looks pretty good actually and the last one is even better. the CPU Temps should stay below 85 °C and this is the Case here.

does the CPU Boost Clock Funktion work properly when Undervolted? if yes, then leave it like that and be happy.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

June 15th, 2017 10:00

12 Posts

June 15th, 2017 12:00

I read that this OC function is only available K CPU.

Anyway i ignored this step and did the others and i got this results:

12 Posts

June 15th, 2017 12:00

After enabling the CPU performance mode i can see no option related ot everclock, what might be the problem ??

12 Posts

June 16th, 2017 03:00

Up

12 Posts

Thanks for your help

well actually you fixed it on your own but Thank You.

on intel laptops turbo stops working when you reach 90C, thermal starts at 100C, this is intel's own hardware implementation in the CPU but manufacturers can override this, stopping turbos at lower temperatures and thermal throttling at lower temperatures. I have an alienware 13 which would throttle the gtx 650m at 70C fixed with custom bios.

Reapplying thermal paste with a good one could help combined with a cooling pad.

12 Posts

June 16th, 2017 06:00

Actually i can't understand all this stuff about thermal throttling and cooling. I just want to make sure i am in the safe zone when pushing my laptop to its limit.

12 Posts

June 16th, 2017 23:00

Sorry for disturbing you again. I just wonder if it's normal for the CPU to reach 90-95 degree without undervolting when i do a GPU stress test ??

I did a GPU stress test using Intel(R) Extreme Tuning Utility. And when i used undervolt, it reaches 84-91 degrees?? I just want to make sure i am in the safe zone since sometime i can play heavy games like BF1 or dishonoered 2 for hours.

June 17th, 2017 04:00

Hallo. don't worry. ask as many Questions as you want. even if i'm Busy, someone else will answer the Question. that's for sure.

so about your Question: yes 95 °C is to hot.

with the new CPUs it's like playing Silicon Lottery. some of the CPUs perform better, and some of them worse. it looks like you've lost a bit. so what you can do now is:

a) return the Laptop

b) leave it undervolted

c) try to Setup a more Aggressive Curve for the CPU Cooler. Download HWinfo64 first.

https://www.hwinfo.com/download.php 

google "HWinfo Laptop Fan How to".

d) as SystemErrorMessage mentioned, replace the Thermal Paste. you will need to disassemble your Laptop. watch a YouTube Video for your Model so you know what it looks like.

and the last Option is to get an External Cooler (Laptop Cool Pad). my personal Opinion is however, they are a Waste of Time and Money. i've had 3 different ones and tried to Cool my MSI Apache and Asus N76 Laptops and it didn't work.

12 Posts

June 18th, 2017 02:00

Can't i send it to dell back to repaste ?? I don't have enough courage to disassemble the laptop as i heard it's very hard and may cause some damage if i am not careful.

June 18th, 2017 03:00

in that Case Call Dell Support and tell them that your Laptops CPU is Overheating. Tech Support should be able to fix it.

3 Posts

July 17th, 2017 08:00

will undervolting the cpu void the warranty?

July 17th, 2017 14:00

Hallo Dgwolf.

no. not really. but be careful with the Voltage Settings.

No Events found!