Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

April 3rd, 2018 19:00

15 R2, motherboard fail and battery replacement issue

Motherboard fails after two years, battery replacement fail.

My wife and I are big Dell users. We have purchased 5 Dell laptops through the years beginning in 2011. Three of the laptops were Inspiron models of one sort or another.  The other two are Alienware laptops.  One is the 15 R2.  The other is a 17 R3.  All of the laptops are still in service.  We have replaced batteries of course in the Inspiron's and had warranty work done on one of them.  But, they are all still in service.  The Alienware 15 R2 motherboard failed out-of-warranty.  It was our choice to not renew the original warranty, so I am not complaining about the cost involved in the repair.  My gripe is that one of the most expensive laptops we have purchased from Dell did not hold up as well as the lesser priced laptops.  Which makes me concerned the 17 R3 will fail at the two-year point as well.  Which brings me to my next issue. 

Since the laptop is two years old and the motherboard has failed; I thought we might as well have technical support replace the battery too.  That only makes sense to me.  Get the motherboard and battery replaced at the same time.  It should save on labor cost at least somewhat.  Oh, by the way, the battery is not user serviceable.  But, guess what?  The technical support department won't replace batteries.  They do not stock batteries, you have to purchase the battery via the sales department.  Then, you have to schedule an onsite service call to have the battery replaced.  VERY POOR DESIGN.  Very poor form for Dell.   

I am a technical person myself.  I repair circuits, boards, boxes etc for a major telecommunication company.  I have my FCC GROL certificate.  I have built computers and repaired out-of-warranty laptops and replaced parts in smartphones for years.  But, when I saw what you have to do to replace the battery in an Alienware laptop, I was immediately angered.  There is a definite design to make it NOT user serviceable. If you look at the user manual, you will find you have to perform the following steps:

Procedure
1 Align the screw holes on the battery with the screw holes on the computer base. 2 Replace the screws that secure the battery to the computer base. 3 Adhere the front AlienFX LED cable to the battery. 4 Route the speaker cable through the routing guides on the battery.

Post-requisites
1 Follow the procedure from step 4 to step 11 in “Replacing the system board".
2 Replace the display assembly.
3 Replace the hinge covers.
4 Follow the procedure from step 5 to step 11 in “Replacing the palm rest”.
5 Replace the wireless card.
6 Replace the solid-state drives.
7 Replace the memory modules.
8 Replace the base panel.

In short, you to remove all those parts and pieces including some wires that are not named in order to replace the battery. Then, and only then, can you follow the steps to put it all back together.  

With my 30 + years of electronics repairs experience, I feel confident I could accomplish the battery replacement and still have a working unit at the end of the repair.  But, it shouldn't be that hard.  There is no way the average user can even attempt the replacement.  They will be forced to schedule an onsite repair.  I have no idea that will cost.

The end result is, these will be the last Alienware laptops we purchase.  There are other laptops available that have similar specifications that are more user-friendly when it comes to battery replacement.  Very disappointed with the design.

1 Message

September 6th, 2018 08:00

Well said.. I completely agree, this will be my last Alienware/Dell laptop as well. I have had my Alienware 15R3 for barely over a year, minimally used and well taken care of, yet the motherboard has already failed. These laptops/motherboards are clearly way over priced for the terrible quality/durability. Laptop is completely useless unless I essentially buy a new motherboard at basically the cost of a new laptop. I'd rather spend my time and money elsewhere.

1 Message

February 16th, 2019 11:00

I have the same laptop and i think my mother board has a problem too. my battery won't charge; it claims to be charging but doesn't charge ( it says: plugged in, charging)
I've always used dell laptops. but this Alienware has been a disappointment being expensive you'd think it would last a while before it shows signs of aging

2 Posts

June 2nd, 2019 17:00

Wow, I have the same Alienware 15 R2 which the battery and motherboard died a few months after warranty, this seems to be an inherent defect with it, intentional or not this just **bleep** and sickening, I have mine sitting gathering dust. Did anyone got theirs repaired? how much did it cost? TIA

7 Posts

December 14th, 2019 11:00

Just to confirm Alienware 17 R2 has same issue.  Most expensive dell I have purchase... should have paid attention to fact it was an internal battery...... Do not buy a dell with an internal battery.  I called dell ts repair before I sent it off.... I am technical so I knew how to state the exact issue.   They said they could fix and to send.... well after five weeks they claim they cant get the battery and have support contact me to try to sell me a new computer after only 2.5 years of use of my current one.   I don't believe for a minute they can't replace a battery on a computer they built.   Yes lets build computers to die after 2 years so we can sell more.   Moral of the story...... do't buy an expensive allienware with an internal battery.... and don't pay more money for a dell than you feel 2 years of service is worth. 

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2020 02:00

My battery just broke after three years, so I had to watch a hilarious youtube video on how to replace the battery. What a joke! 

Now I’m here and read that my motherboard’s has reached the end of its presumed life cycle, as well. I think it’s not worth replacing the battery which will cost around 110 EUR just to wait until the motherboard breaks shortly afterwards. (If I manage to not break it when I disassemble the whole laptop just to put in a new battery).

So I will join the others here and say: "Goodbye, Alienware".

1 Message

August 14th, 2020 04:00

I am currently looking at a 15 R2 that failed for my client about 12 months after purchase, in 2016/17. Smoke came out of the keyboard which was the first sign of any failure of the system. He had it analysed as being a failed system board and, due to the expense (around AU$1k), stuck it in a cupboard. How widespread is this system board failure? Given that the servicing of this system is well documented how easy is it to purchase a new system board, in Australia? Does Dell really support this hardware for five years from purchase date?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

August 14th, 2020 08:00

You won't find any "new" replacement boards -- they're all considered refurbished, as are all Dell replacement parts.  And on a system of that age, it's likely they're all used parts by now.

Local laws on repair parts vary, but most state that the manufacturer must honor the warranty, but nothing after that.  Since most buyers go for a 3-year warranty at longest, that's about as long as most manufacturers will stock parts.  And on sub-$1,000 systems, it's becoming more common for 2-3 year old systems to be replaced with refurbished ones rather than repaired, though this clearly isn't such a system.

All you can do is search locally for the part you need, or contact Dell to see if it's available.  That said, don't rule out buying a used system that failed for reasons other than the system board failing - it can be cheaper to do that than it is to buy individual parts at times.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 14th, 2020 20:00

I’d get a refurbished motherboard and a new battery as the knock off ones can literally screw the board up for some weird reason like it won’t charge or say it’s charging but it really isn’t.

I have owned multiple Alienware laptops and never had any issues with my 15 R1 since for some reason it refuses to die.

I have the 4710HQ clocked at 4.1Ghz with the Graphics AMP connected with a 2080 and the internal 980M with +500Mhz on the GPU memory and +230Mhz on the GPU cores.

I use the 240watt PSU and when it’s really overclocked I use the 330watt one.

I also modified mine with a custom 120Hz 1080p display.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

August 15th, 2020 00:00

Hi @Timhack  thanks for the prompt. Dell video for Alienware 17 R4 & 15 R3 Battery Disassembly is Here. Dell Li-ion battery service life is typically two years. Main battery discharge is an expected normal behaviour of the Dell hybrid power design on Alienware computers.

We have a new Alienware 17 R5 (i7-8750H, GTX 1070, QHD) Gaming Laptop whose purchase price is about $3,000. Have just looked at the Dell Alienware 17 R5 service manual and agree with your observation that our internal main battery location is not designed to be a Customer Self-Replaceable (CSR) or Customer Replaceable Unit (CRU). This is very disappointing because Dell says our main battery life is typically only two years and thereby there is a realistic expectation of many main battery replacements for our expensive Alienware 17 R5 laptop. 

We have general purpose laptops that are not Dell, whose purchase price is considerably less and these are designed for ease of main battery replacement. 

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

August 15th, 2020 13:00

Have you noticed the way to replace batteries on the BGA designed alienware series that came between 2015-2018 all have to have the palm rest area and the keyboard membrane cables disconnected to remove them?

Id prefer a more serviceable way such as placing the battery on the bottom side area so you can remove the backplate and then disconnect it.

But I'm not qualified enough to make that decision as i am not Alienware's system engineer.

No Events found!