Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 26th, 2018 19:00

15 R2, not Sleeping or Shutting Down

After updating the drivers and bios of my laptop which shipped on February 16, 2016, I was and am still unable to sleep or shut down the laptop without holding the power button. When attempting to sleep or shut down the laptop, the AlienFX lights stay lit along with the network light, which stays solid. The screen turns off and the laptop ceases to make any noise. When I press the power button again, it fails to respond and the only way to circumvent this issue is to force a shutdown by holding the power button.

Initially, I tried updating all the drivers, including the BIOS. This failed to fix anything. I then attempted to reinstall windows several times, including with the recovery image burned onto a flash drive. Still, the issue hasn't gone away. I even tried downgrading the BIOS, but that didn't work either. One thing to note is that the Intel MEI driver fails to install and says that the platform isn't supported. Maybe this could be related to the issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1 Message

June 16th, 2021 19:00

so finally i found the fix for my case..

my laptop is alienware 17 r2 with i7 4980hq and gtx 980m

i can't shutdown the laptop normally like all of you, but i can restart it normally without any problem..

so i tried every thing to fix it but no way till i uninstalled the stupid alienware on screen display app then i can normally shutdown my laptop without any problem

so try this as it may help

February 27th, 2018 12:00

Thanks for the reply. I tried running it but it failed. This is the message I've always been getting:

Capture.PNG

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 27th, 2018 12:00

Hi @SerpentEagle,

Try this one and let me know!

February 27th, 2018 16:00

@Alienware-Eimy It seems that there are a considerable amount of people facing the same issues as me. What is Alienware's plan to fix this issue? It doesn't sound good for Dell to be systematically breaking the functionality of its own products... This is kind of ridiculous.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 1st, 2018 16:00

Please run powercfg.exe -energy in command prompt and reply with the log file. 

March 4th, 2018 10:00

C:\Windows\system32>powercfg.exe -energy
Enabling tracing for 60 seconds...
Observing system behavior...
Analyzing trace data...
Analysis complete.

Energy efficiency problems were found.

5 Errors
4 Warnings
20 Informational

See C:\Windows\system32\energy-report.html for more details.

It also spit out an html file with a lot of information. I am unable to attach it to this post. Can I email it to you or something?

3 Posts

March 6th, 2018 23:00

I have the same problem after updating the bios, too. I always have to shut it down by long-pressing the power button but after that, starting takes lots of time. This can be really annoying sometimes. Waiting for the solutions...

March 7th, 2018 08:00

Lucky u I mean you at least got a system I never got my alienware 

March 8th, 2018 07:00

Still no answers for the crappy 1.4.4 BIOS...

1 Message

March 8th, 2018 20:00

Today called Dell support with the same issue you are facing and the solution provided was to reinstall windows back again. God knows if that will work. 

March 8th, 2018 21:00

After having read multiple of these threads with people trying everything under the sun I'm going to hold out for a BIOS update to fix it, I didn't have any of these problems until I updated my BIOS.. I read where a few people tried re-installing the OS and it didn't fix it.. in fact I never saw one where that did help..

Just hope they fix this sooner rather than later..

28 Posts

March 9th, 2018 00:00

The shutdown/sleep issue in AW 15 r2 cannot be fixed in any way. This is something that bios 1.4.4 has broken and the only way to fix it is waiting for a new bios version. Sorry to say this, but if you reinstall windows again the issue won't be solved.

5 Posts

April 3rd, 2018 06:00

Same issue for me here.  I added a blue case fan to my graphics amplifier, now I see that it is on all the time.  Prior to 1.4.4, the laptop went to sleep pretty fast (1.3.6).  It is definitely the BIOS causing the issue.

Other issues I've noticed.  When I chose to manually put the computer to sleep, the graphics amplifier revs up and starts throttling the fans on the graphics card in the amplifier.  Something definitely weird about this BIOS.

3 Posts

April 17th, 2018 16:00

Yo, @Alienware-Eimy no updates yet?

No Events found!